I have 86 brat, runs great until you speed up to 50 and over then chugs, and quits, sometimes starts right up sometimes no

Asked by Jul 01, 2014 at 05:21 PM about the 1986 Subaru BRAT GL Standard Cab

this car sat for about 4 years not being started, it was always inside.  I rebuilt the carburetor on it cleaned it all up prior to rebuild, chugs at high speed and finally quits, sometimes it will start right back up other times I have to pump it a lot to get it to start. changed coil thinking it may be that but does the same thing every time I drive it.

21,395

this car is a semi-classic, certainly rare- they are rare because old Subarus were not the best built cars and were prohibitively expensive to refurbish- for what the end result would be- another old Subaru- but your Brat is unique and now you are kinda trapped into putting a lot of money into a car that is not ALL that valuable- if you have done the carb, that is a claim to fame as they are complicated little beasts with all the emissions controls- you will have to go through the carb again, make sure your float level is set up right and the jets are correct- then the rest of the fuel system, there could be crud in the gas tank- the fuel pump must be checked too- then, it's on to the ignition system-

I have done all you have mentioned not sure what to do at this point my thoughts are a new carb not sure my old one was worthy of a rebuild kit as it was very dirty even though I smoked in carburstor cleaner over night what are your thoughts

check the fuel filter at the rear of the vehicle and I think you'll cure your problem--orgcar