subaru brat 1986 put new fuel pump on it ran for a while, then acted like it was out of gas.

Asked by Jun 08, 2014 at 03:09 PM about the 1986 Subaru BRAT GL Standard Cab

this car has been setting for several years has not been started in the pas 3 or 4 years.  Put some sea foam in the gas tank to get the gunk out, could the lines be plugged or filter? of maybe something in the tank.  I did not change the filters because they were clear when I tested them.

116,435

Did you remove all the old gas? If not you probably dealing with condensation in the tank. Drain all gas. Add new. Undo fuel line at engine. Cycle fuel pump till fresh gas comes out. Replace filter. Remove spark plugs inspect and clean them. With them out turn engine over a few times to blow out the cylinders. Reinstall spark plugs and crank it up. Most times this works well. Also check air filter for a rat nest or other blockage.

6,605

It could also be an issue with varnish in the gas (just old bad gas) it dosn't stay good forever. Definately change the fuel if you havn't already, clean and/or replace the components dandyoun suggested, and run either an actual fuel system cleaner or put a small ammount of ATF in the fuel. The detergents in the ATF clean things really well.

Both your answers were great, but I have already done all that, I have even changed the spark plugs, wires, new distributor, and rotor, and rebuilt the carburetor, changed all the filters including the Air filter. I am really confused my only thought at this point is a bad carburetor but the fact that it starts good idles good and run smooth up to 45-50 mph makes me think it may be something more simple than that.