Can you pass Smog in Ca swapping electric fuel pump on a mechanical one

Asked by Apr 19, 2017 at 10:33 PM about the 1986 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr Pioneer 4WD

My jeep has an aftermarket electric fuel pump, previously had to be
Mechanical, but I guess they swap the engine and that is what I'm left with.
The technician did not pass it at the smog, so now I'm stuck.

Did the tech blame the fuel pump? A fuel pump is not an emissions device so I suspect he failed it for another reason. If the engine is wrong for your year truck or the emissions equipment was not installed properly it would fail.

No, the car passed the smog/ exhaust pipe with flying colors, but the guy saw the steel pipe plugged and he did not know what it was for, I've told him that is a return line, but he couldn't find any info in his" books", so he flagged me, and sent me to a "referee" ?? what is that!! Told him that it was a return line, everything else checked out right! Also, he said that the timing was wrong, at some point in California there was a recall about those cars timing, that needed to be at 6BTDC but he said it had to be at 10, I have the sticker in my engine comp. and that seemed mhh, after the car passed the pipe test.

A referee deals with non standard issues like yours which in my mind is extremely minor but you never know with these pin heads. The Kalifornia smog cops are brutal and the smog check guys are worried that they will lose their license if they let the smallest thing go so don't blame him. Next time do something about the return line!

Best Answer Mark helpful

Like FOR says, these guys are pin heads. It is just a return line for excess fuel from the throttle body going back to the gas tank. Sounds like the engine that is in there gets better emissions than the original one that was in there. The guy is worried about his job. Go to the referee, maybe he'll have a brain.

On many vehicles the fuel pump is part of the EVAP system. The EVAP system pulls gasoline vapors from the gas tank into the engine to be burned instead of being released in the atmosphere. Vehicles have been required to have the EVAP system since 1970 in California and since 1971 Federally. The inspector probably believes that the EVAP system on your Jeep has been disabled because of the fuel pump change. HTH. -Jim

No, my car has the evap all in place, and everything checked out right, the extra line from the pump suction and floater unit it has to be a return line, I will plug it up from the tank, and eliminate the use of the line, or I'll go to the junk yard and find a car with the setup of a return line, I rather first go to the referee and see what he say about the eliminated line, or I'll just yank it out there and then, I'll bring a chopping device and a plug. Let see how it goes, I'll keep you posted. NOT Plugged lines at the smog Check, I could have removed the SMART line, but to be nice!! DO NOT LIE, JUST SAY........... What they want to hear. I told the guy that I've replaced the engine. But I think that the engine was previously replaced, with interchanged fuel pump. The engine is 1987 Camaro, originally fuel injected, retrofitted with jeep parts from the old engine (perfect Fit ) SAME ENGINE, but not mechanical pump mounting.