Why will my 1986 Jeep Cherokee 2.5 liter 4 wheel drive manual not roll with the clutch in and it in gear

25

Asked by Mar 10, 2016 at 10:04 PM about the 1986 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr STD 4WD

I just replaced the clutch and clutch master
cylinder and when I put it in gear with the
clutch in my Jeep will not roll and when it's
rolling it will not let me put it in gear why

72,305

Was the clutch master cylinder & slave cylinder bench bled before putting it in as a unit?

25

I never replace the slave cylinder I did replace the clutch master cylinder and no I did not bench bleed it

25

Yes I replace the throwout bearing I bought the clutch kit which included a throw out bearing can after installing the clutch in a tranny I bleed the slave cylinder Prince feel when I put the clutch in with it in gear it will not let me roll it stuck or something that's what it acts like

66,635

Agree with rowefast.gotta be bled right or you want have the air out.

72,305

The system needs to be bled. You ever bench bleed a master cylinder? I would try doing that first with the clutch master, then bleed the system from the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder. There a procedure videos on you tube if need be.

25

Could I have put the transmission in wrong where it's not lined up with the clutch or flywheel or the rear end or something

25

So do I need to pull the clutch master cylinder and bench bleed it

66,635

Yes,but do as Rowefast said,go check youtube on how to do this right,or you will be wasting your time trying.

72,305

It wouldn't slide up flush to the bell housing if it were. The best procedure on bleeding the clutch system on those is to have the slave cylinder and the the master cylinder out of the vehicle, I just tried to explain the rest but couldn't, best that you look it up on you tube. Picture is worth a thousand words.

25

K..thank you for your help gentleman. Also one more thing..is there a clutch relay cause at one point before replacing the clutch a relay under the dash would click when i pushed the clutch in

25

72,305

Yes there is some sort of safety switch when depressing the clutch pedal to a low the engine to turn over with the starter.

72,305

Or there should be, I'll look, forgot about your year,

66,635

Yes ,rowefast is right there is a safety switch on the clutch.

Best Answer
25

I don't know what that means I don't understand that so is that why my starter is not working now and it's a 1986 Jeep Cherokee 2.5 liter command-trac 4 wheel drive manual

66,635

Yes,check under dash make sure it is in right ,,you have to press clutch to open stater circuit.

25

So what do I do with the safety switch now do I have to replace it or what do I do

25

Thank you all gentlemen for your support and help with my troubles on my Jeep hopefully this will solve my problems again thank you you all have been very helpful

66,635

You can test the switch,just take it loose and take wire and cross them between prongs,crank starter,if it does its good,if it dont,replace with new one.