had someone try to hotwire my 1999 jimmy now wont start replaced starter and still nothing help please

Asked by Aug 17, 2013 at 02:04 PM about the 1999 GMC Jimmy 4 Dr SL 4WD SUV

lost the keys to my 1999 jimmy a friend tried to pop the ignition key switch out wouldn't start replaced the starter still nothing don't know what to do help PLEASE

okay, first look at the top of the battery will show the date of the first charge...the new tin/antimony alloy batteries only last five years before they stop accepting a charge, so Get a NEW battery, a good one...next test the ignition switch with a meter to see if you still get power to the solenoid in the start position...if you don't replace the ignition switch...and you'll be off to the races before you know it~

...also coarse wirebrush the black 1/0awg cable that comes from the battery to the chassis ground....take the bolt off and wirebrush this connection to ground and the lug too to insure a 300 cold cranking amp capability...these things always "weld" everytime they are used after a while the connection takes on funny characteristics including varying amperage available and variable voltage available which screws up the ECU and sensors get wrong info and it's a disgrace~....so grab your coarse wirebrush and make it right~

104,285

Are you still trying to start it with a Jerry rigged ignition switch? Did you find your keys? If its still rigged up and you still have no keys i would install a new ignition cylinder with new keys. It's not that hard or expensive to do.