Headlights won't turn on

40

Asked by Mar 03, 2010 at 12:34 PM about the 2000 GMC Yukon SLT 4WD

My Yukon has auto headlights that turn on at night. Leaving the gym last night they wouldn't turn on auto or manually. The parking lights were on dim and my high beams would work. Its both the lf/rt lamps. Any suggestions on the problem?

1,255

you should check the fuses or relay

40

Checked both already. No luck!

You say the parking lights were on dim. If you aren't talking about the Day Time Running Lights my suggestion would be to be sure the bulbs aren't bad

60

Hi, The parking lights on my Yukon just won't turn on, and I have no clue how to do so! I have already taken the truck to electricions, but nobody knows how to fix that. Any suggestions? Thanks

40

Hi, did you ever get this problem fixed? I now have the exact same issue. Thanks

130

I'm having the same problem with my 2001 Suburban 1500. Low beams work fine during the day but won't come on at night. High beams and DRL are fine day or night, but no low beams at night. I have checked all bulbs, fuses, and relays. I have tried disabling the DRL by removing the fuse and relay. I have tried covering the ambient light sensor completely with electrical tape and a large bottle cap, no change except the low beams come on automatically now during the day, but still only DRL or High beams at night. I even paid "Ask GM" $5, tried 5 mechanics, no solution, but they did give me my money back. Anybody solve this problem yet??? Grrrr...

80

I am having an issue with my headlights on a 2001 Yukon XL, my headlights are always set to auto but now sometimes after sitting awhile one or both lights don't come on until I tap on it. All connections seem fine and snug. Won't turn off after hitting a bump and will usually work if I turn off truck and back on. Only seems to happen after sitting awhile. Any Guesses?

30

I'm also having same issue, first started low beams working fine during daytime, but not at night. I noticed that once it starts getting dark out and the automatic switch to turn them on kicks on they go out and no longer come back on.. When this first happened I would shut off the automatic light switch by hitting the some light button 3 times, then if I switch from low to high beam repeatedly like as fast as you can they came back on, but soon as you switched to highs again they go out and never come back on. I did this for over a year now and now the low beams do not come on period, not at all, during day night nothing doesn't matter they just do not come on. Everything else works fine all marker lights, blinkers, high beams, reverse lights, just everything works but low beams.. I've tried everything at this point and no success.. If you do some more research on this I found its a very week known issue with all GM cars and truck between certain years, and been many complaints made but there's no recall because GM or anyone knows of the cause or fix. it's most likely a grounding issue but where? I've check all I could find. My next step now is to install new HID headlights and hope for the best, need to do something cause with never pass inspection like this.. If anyone finds out a solution or answers that would be great, and I'll let everyone know how I make out with installing HID lights

10

I had this problem.. No low beams. All lights work and high beams also work . its most likely going to be the turn signal switch that controls your low and high beams. This is how I fixed mine. Locate the big black box under the dash that has a 8mm bolt holding it to gather. Your going to losen the bolt and separate the harnesses use a small flat head screw driver to pry the gray connector out more like just wedge between the two in the middle of the black factory harness and the gray connector pull it down towards the floor board. Looking at the gray connector you'll see the numbers 1-13 in order if you have a multimeter you can test the pins 11 12 13 should be reading 10-13ish volts set on dc pin 12 is the low beams I had 0 and very little when switched to high beams. You must have your harnesses bolted togather while your testing but know you know what pin your lights are on. So what I did was ran a jumper from 13 to 12 and soldered it in and I know it's not going to come apart. The wires I connected togather was light blue and tan. My low beams work and so do high beams I haven't had any problems. Also your low beams will on when on high beams and back to just low beams when switched to low beams. . if checked all fuses and relays and tested all lights and no luck then most likely your multiswitch went bad .. Its a pita to switch out .. But this fix will get you your low beams back..

Will not come on highbeam bulb lights everything else works fine any suggestions on my 2007 envoy Dinali

Low beams were working fine . Arrived at destination turned off vehicle 30 minutes later got ready to head home no domain lights. Had running lights and brights but no dim lights. Any suggestions.