Brake Lights

Asked by Jan 19, 2017 at 07:58 PM about the 2015 GMC Yukon SLT 4WD

My drive side tail brake light works inconsistently. What I
am reading, it seems that I would need to replace the
whole light. However I have also been told that the other
brake lights are not working. Has anyone else had this
problem?

85,405

Common problems. More than likely you need to replace the bulb sockets in the back end. You do not have to replace the hole lens assembly.

50

I have the same problem brake lights are out on both sides. I was told by the dealer,that the whole assembly has to be replaced at 650.00 per side

110

I've had the same issue with my 2015 yukon xl Denali. Easiest and least expensive fix is to remove tail light and ship to get fix for $120 at a ebay seller site that specializes in this particular issue. I know the bad side is you have to stop using your vehicle for 2 to 3 days while you get it repaired, but if you have another vehicle and don't want to spend the ridiculous amount the dealer charges for a new one, then it's worth it.

60

the leds are in 1 large circuit inside the light. The circuit cracks so It works intermittently. GM is a big POS company because they wont back these up and they lie about the problem stating that its the first and only theyve seen. They tried to tell me I broke the light because I had to break the housing open to solder the circuit. GM is a spineless company.

10

I have the same problem - Ive received the same answer as GuruD4DXF

30

i own a 2015 yukon and i had problems with both tailghts , Called GM and was told that they were not having any complaints on taillights and my warranty was out, The dealer quoted 750 per light. I went on line and bought after market for less than 500 for both ,they look better and work

To Guru5YM49 - can you provide the website or link for the after market lights that you found or an item number or photo? Thanks.

20

I have a 2016 GMC Yukon Denali and my brake light is doing the same thing. And the GMC service department said they have had THREE Yukons in with the same problem in the last week or so. WTH? Why is GMC not doing anything??

30

This is why right here, poor manufacturing, or designed to fail. Have now replaced both tail lights on my 15 Yukon xl.

20

usmsp34 how did you remove lens? Can I solder to fix?

30

You absolutely could fix it, however the light assembly does not disassemble and reassemble easily at all due the fact that it appears to plastic melted together.

Do you have the link for the eBay site? We have already replaced the drivers side, now passenger is out and they want us to purchase another whole assembly.

30

I actually found a used one on Amazon for just under$400.

10

I also have the same issue but mine will work and after setting in the heat it stops working .and also if I tap on the light it will come on but don’t stay on

20

GM is well aware of the problems, I brought mine to dealer 3 times while under warranty. The 1st time they replaced the left, the 2nd time they replaced the right, the 3rd time they said it wasn't happening at the time and there was nothing they could do. The 4th time I brought it, it was out of warranty, that's when they decided it would be $750 each to fix with upgraded part. Checking my invoice from first 2 visits, I noticed that they had replaced the old faulty lights with the same faulty part! Even though they knew it was faulty and had the "new" upgraded parts in stock! They waited for me to fall out of warranty to charge me for the working upgraded part! Currently have a case with GM.

90

hi found this guy thru a friend of mine he had repaired a speedometer cluster for him and he had told me to contact him and i did and he repairs a lot of Automotive electronics modules, so i sent him both of my tail lights and he repaired both of them for about $250.00 and they have a lifetime warranty with them. can not go wrong with that. I have had them in the Yukon for about 3 months with no problems, i told him to put his listing on ebay and he has. here is his eBay item number: 253582723111, 2015 2016 2017 2018 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, Denali Tail Light Lamp Repair Kit i also have his telephone number if anybody wants it. i'm glad i sent them to him. i hope this helps somebody out. DO NOT go to steal dealer and get ripped off.

90

sorry also here is his link, just copy this link and put into google search, https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2016-2017-2018-GMC-Yukon-Yukon-XL-Denali-Tail-Light- Lamp-Repair-Kit/253582723111? fits=Model%3AYukon&epid=12018501478&hash=item3b0ab54827:g:eWgAAOSw4J5a4SGZ &vxp=mtr

10

Please do not try to remove the lens. It has been sonic welded to the housing. Removing the lens will destroy both the lens and the lamp. GM also has a bounty on the old Yukon lamps....so used cores are also difficult to find. There are companies that fix these LED lamps at substantial savings over a new part. Try http://www.ledfix.com

We have the same problem with our 2015 Yukon. Out of warranty, dealer wants almost 2K to fix, but it would be with the same faulty parts and may or may not work. They say GMC is aware of the problem. Has anyone contacted GM?

anyone having this problem should report it to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ It takes about 5 min. If enough people report the problem it becomes a recall and we get reimbursed for the repair. Which the dealership charges $1,500 to fix when both tail and brake lights stop working.

How upsetting is to read how many of us have been through the same situation and dealerships are very aware of this occurring- our both tailamps started to go off and on and dealership replaced both and walked out of dealer after a $2k receipt- feel cheated because we have paid plenty of $$$$ for these vehicles to start getting issues 2k miles after out of warranty and now hot days came around and guess what..... my AC blows hot air and only have 42k miles- in all the vehicles I have owned never had AC issues this soon into a car few years old!

Wow after reading all of these regarding tail lights it’s mighty depressing. My front led light went out and I was quoted 1300.00 to fix it. One LED strip $1300.00. I asked how could this go out when I only have 55,000 miles on it. Their reply was “lights go out”. Ok, well we have a 2011 same model and I have never replaced a light on it, that car has 165,000 miles on it. Seems to me GMC has gone to crap. Sad!

It’s the front light. And for that the front end need to be removed. Sooooo I’ll let the professionals handle that! But thanks for the info!!

How can you fix it without opening it??? A membership fee to watch YouTube videos...and you don't have to open the light??? That seems sketch-tastic five thousand. My nan's been suckered before - starting with GMC, and now weekend YouTubers can cash in on it?! No thank you.

Ugh great to see this is an issue. Just got quotes $815 for one rear drivers side tail light. Doing the complain to the person who posted.

90

Don't don't don't pay that! smh Still 4 months and counting here, can't complain. PLUS lifetime warranty! I've sent two buddies this way and they loved how cheap and fast it was... Hi! I found this on eBay and thought you might like it! Check it out now! 2015 2016 2017 2018 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, Denali Tail Light Lamp Repair Kit http://r.ebay.com/NQjVZ0

20

Everyone should be calling the General Motors to complain. Complaining at the dealer level doesn't necessarily make it to the top. Perhaps if they heard enough of us complaining that they might..just might..do a recall.

Sent ours to digitalautotech.com. They charged about $110.00 per light and had the lights returned to us in less than a week. Both are working perfectly now (fingers crossed)!

20

Have the exact same issue with my 2015 GMC Yukon XL Denali, 44K miles. LR assembly not working. Thanks for all of the discussion on this. I posted a complaint on the NHTSA form noted above in an answer. Thanks!

20

GuruT9543 what is this form NHTSA?

Same thing here! My dad and husband are working on it.... driver side brake light 2015 Yukon XL. Was hoping it was fuse! Might send it in.. ugh

30

her we go guys the video is free till midnight so no one can scam you and tell you they have a repair kit and he is going to install it in your light , this video is copyrighted and it's the same one we introduced to GM technical support in august 2016 and we have the case number and the patent number for any one who is dublecating our work ,see you in court soon .How to fix a GMC Yukon XL Denali Tail Light https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RzRclHGj9o

20

@ spiceymamma, re: "what is NHTSA?" I was referring to what "jengmc" answered with before my post, noted to formally submit a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. jengmc provided the direct link to the complaint form. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Rats GuruWGG2K, I was a few hours too late to see your video. My wife's 2015 Denali is having the same brake light issue as everybody else. Is it a soldering issue, or an actual LED strip replacement issue?

30

your board is broken you need a piece of copper wire and soldering we have been fixing them since 2016 locally and in ebay in may 2017 3 other people copied our work and now they are telling everyone that they have a repair kit and they advertising that in every web site for there self ,you can check on ebay under redseaa , all the product reviews is ours but ebay insisting in putting them under everyone who want to fix a light ,,, old item number https://www.ebay.com/itm/322567628784? ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649 runing since 2016 , ebay item number (322567628784)

20

Who’s video is on you tube for sale? Is it one that could help fix my light? I filed a complaint like others suggested.

20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RzRclHGj9o

40

2015 GMC Yukon Dinali LED brake light passenger-side. I was able to repair this myself after viewing the video on YouTube showing you where on the back of the light to remove the plastic inside or in a little piece of wire took me about 20 minutes and cost me about five dollars

40

2015 Yukon Dinali brake light repair location photo

40

2015 Yukon Dinali brake light repair location phot

Has anyone else out there followed the you tube video? I looked at his repair site on ebay (red sea).... can't decide which route to go.

40

Anyone who does electrical soldering can do this repair. Use the photos above to locate the two places or check the YouTube video

where did you get the repair kit

40

I bought a soldering iron at Lowe’s for 14 bucks and a roll of soldering wire and The nice people at battery plus store gave me a little electrical soldering flux. I stripped a little old electric cord exposing the stranded copper you see in the photo . So there’s no kit you just solder a little piece of wire to reconnect the circuit because the original connection just came apart