did they kill my car?

Asked by Jul 25, 2015 at 08:35 PM about the 2014 Toyota Prius Two

help! last week i took my year old 2014 prius 2 in for scheduled maintenance- which
included oil change. on my way home, i noticed i was "smoking". i pulled over to be
sure i wasn't on fire & discovered i was loosing oil. i turned around & drove back to the
dealership. i was ~20 miles in the country. the yellow exclamation point and "low oil
pressure" kept beeping & flashing until towards the end they came on & stayed on. i
limped to the dealership with hybred alert on & they had to admit that the plug was
cross threaded. after changing the oil pan & plug & felt door pad, they are trying to tell
me that this car is totally fine and as good as new. i drive over 450miles each week for
work & at least twice a year drive 1000 miles one way without stopping- a 16 hour trip
by myself. i don't trust this car anymore.... would you?

19,225

WOW.... THEY CHANGED THE OIL PAN AFTER THE LEAK..IF THEY WENT THAT FAR AND DIDNT JUST PUT THE NEXT SIZE PLUG IN .. I WOULD OF HAD THEM CHECK THE BEARINGS.. THIS IS A MESS...HOW MUCH OIL WAS IT LOW WHEN YOU GOT BACK THERE? HOW LONG WAS THE LOW OR NO OIL PRESSURE ON SOLID.... THIS HAPPENED AT THE DEALERSHIP... ID WANT A NEW CAR...

19,225

MIGHT NOT BE DEAD...BUT COULD BE 10 YEARS OLDER...HATE TO HAVE A ROD BEARING GO THE DAY AFTER YOUR WARRANTY IS UP..

this was at the dealership. it's not dead yet, but i don't trust it, certainly not 16hr cross country. i want car replaced but dealership saying could only replace 2014 with 2014, a 2015 is new & would have to "adjust" - which means i'm gonna end up paying for their mistake

19,225

THEY WILL GIVE YOU ANOTHER NEW 2014 RIGHT.. OR A 2015 FOR THE DIFFERENCE... DO YOU WANT THE 2014 OR THE 2015..IF YOU WANTED A 15 EVEN IF THIS HAD NOT HAPPENED YOU WOULD STILL HAVE TO PAY THE DIFFERENCE..BUT IM NOT SURE IF YOU MEAN THAT THEY WILL GIVE YOU A NEW 14 WITH SAY 100 MILES OR SO FOR THE EVEN TRADE.

i want a car i can trust- that leaves out my 2014. i want a new one be it 14 or 15. a mistake was made, but it wasn't mine. i'd planned to drive this one another 220,000 miles- like my first prius, an 07.

19,225

you said above they will give you a 2014...right and its NEW?

the gm said if he was to trade it out equal it would need to have the same amt of miles. needless to say it's not a viable option

19,225

no...then your into someones elses problems.. tell him you want a new engine then....

14,095

bjg -you didn't say anything about how many miles are on your car, and whether you purchased your car at this dealership . What city do you live in? I imagine you bought this new and are the original owner? And, is this car still under an extended warranty to 100,000 miles? This shouldn't of even been a problem, but, I suppose anything is possible. Mistakes get made every day and it sounds like they're going to have to either make you whole or get you a new engine. At the very least, you should insist that they rebuild your engine, exchange engines are not desirable and you never know what you will get. Stand your ground and force them with legal action if you must. Hey, your car was perfect when you brought it to them, they should make it right. Remind them that it's their reputation at stake in the community. You know, negative word of mouth can be extremely bad for them and I'm sure they want to hear you telling folks that your experience has been terrific not a problem nightmare. Ask to speak with the shop foreman or general manager. You could be their best client, if they treat you with respect. After all, they would rather have you come back in a few years to get a brand new car. That won't happen if they alienate you. You need a tell them that! Good luck!

56,705

Personally I'd keep driving it. They made the mistake, admitted it, and fixed it. Since they went to the trouble of replacing the oil pan and not just putting in an oversized plug you know they don't want this to come back and bite them later. The only mistake you made was to continue driving it with the warning lights on and flashing. You should have pulled over and called the dealership. They would have sent out a tow truck to get you. This vehicle and the repairs are covered under warranty. If later on the engine develops problems or quits as a result of this they'll have to fix it. For free. Keep your receipts and from this point on go back to the dealer for everything. At least as long as your covered under warranty. As far as not trusting the vehicle. Why not? Any time you go out for a drive you can get stranded. You can run over a nail and get a flat tire. Fuel pumps and ignition coils can and do fail without warning. Any vehicle, new or old, can leave you by the side of the road. There's no point in being paranoid about it. If it happens, just pick up your cell phone and call the dealer, auto club, etc., for a tow. HTH. -Jim

14,095

JS08016 makes a good point above. You should never continue to drive any vehicle with the warning lights flashing on your dashboard. Now, I see that you were 20 miles or away "in the country ". Does that mean that you did not have cell phone service? If you live in a remote area or travel to remote areas regularly with your car and are worried about breakdowns, you can purchase On-Star now for any car. I recently found this out from a friend who has it on his GM vehicle. Sure, it's an additional cost per month, but, what's it worth to you to get disabled out in the middle of nowhere with no way to call for help. Again, you need to evaluate your situation, but, at least now you know you can get this installed on any vehicle.

19,225

THERE IS ONLY ONE ISSUE HERE.THE DEALERSHIP IS AT FAULT... regardless of why where and how....... id make them replace the engine ...what if it was my 90 thousand Z06..you think i would let them slide.. no... but id never would have got in that situation.... the dealer owes her a motor if she wants one...even thought there might be no harm/wear/damage done inside the engine. they know it..think they dont!

14,095

Kelly, of course, I agree with you. I'm sure that you read my earlier post. I said that she should ask for an engine rebuild. Of course, they're going to try and resist this. Her problem is that she made things worse by driving 20 or more miles with no oil and the dealer would make a case for her adding to the engine damage, I would imagine. On the other hand, if she had no choice but to drive back to civilization, then, that would justify what she did. It's just going to be hard to prove that, my opinion. If the dealership were very smart, they would just rebuild her engine. WHY? The word of mouth advertising from a gesture like this would travel faster than a wildlife and people in her community would be very impressed once they heard it. .Yes, mistakes get made everyday and Toyota can easily afford it. Heck, they may even have insurance for stuff like this. Have you ever heard of insurance in business for errors and omissions, this might even fall into this category. Even if it doesn't, you can't buy great advertising like this anywhere at any price. See this link below for errors and omissions, it includes negligence. http://www.hiscox.com/small-business-insurance/errors-and-omissions- insurance/e-and-o-coverage/

56,705

I don't feel that the original poster is due an engine at all. By their own admission the warning systems on the dash were working and they chose to continue driving the vehicle. The engine is running fine and they replaced the oil pan which, by the way, sounds like the only part that was damaged due to the dealership's negligence. We get calls from time to time from customers who have done the same thing to someone's vehicle. They simply jam an expandable rubber universal drain plug in the stripped out drain hole and send the people on their merry way. This dealership, in my opinion, did the right thing. HTH. -Jim

19,225

YOU SAID>This dealership, in my opinion, did the right thing. HTH. - Jim ...YES I AGREE WITH YOU ON THAT THE DEALER PUT A NEW PAN ON..IM SURPRISED..REALLY..ONLY AFTER THEY TRASHED THE OTHER.....SO NO THATS ALL AFTER THE FACT. THEY SCREWED UP IN THE FIRST PLACE... YOU KNOW AND EVERYBODY ELSE OUT THERE READING THIS...IS THAT SOME/MANY OF THE MECHANIC/MANAGERS... STINK.... YOU CANT GET GOOD SERVICE/WORK ANYWHERE... SO...HERE THE FIX..NOBODY SAID IT NOBODY EVEN THOUGHT OF IT..I DID. >>>> AND HERE IS IS...>>>INSIST ON GETTING THE DRIVE TRAIN WARRANTY/WITH A CLAUSE EXTENDED FOR 5 YEARS..NO IFS AND OR BUTTS !.DONE

19,225

THAT WILL BE 1 PRIME RIB MED.PLEASE.

yes, lights blinked on & off. i was in a remote place- tried numerous times to call dealership- no cell reception. by then just drove back. if i just drove locally it would not be a big problem. i drive alot & the country spaces can be scarey when you're by yourself. i'm probably gonna just trade in for a 2015... i'll get screwed with depreciation and end up not getting credit for double paying my premiums. not my fault in the first place but i end up on the short end of the stick. tx all