2014 Avalon Ltd won't start

75

Asked by Nov 10, 2014 at 07:45 PM about the 2014 Toyota Avalon Limited

My 2014 Avalon Ltd. is two weeks old, this morning it wouldn't start....just clicking
......Toyota sent a tow truck, boosted it and it started right away. Toyota tested the
battery...said it tested good!
I asked them to do a battery drain test to see if there was any excess draw with the car
stopped and engine off......the service guy kept insisting the battery tested good!
He told me it would cost $63.00 for another test! What planet is he from???
I am going to see the service manager tomorrow!
Anyone else have this no start problem? And no,there were not any lights left on
overnight! However, one night the charcoal canister motor was running for a few hours,
after the car had been parked in my garage a couple of hours previously! I asked the
service guy how long this emission control motor would run after shutting down the
car.....he didn't know the answer to that!,,

75

According to the manufacturing date the car is one year old. I think the car has been sitting in showrooms for too long without the engine running long enough to keep the battery recharged. It sat for 2 months in my dealers showroom before I bought it. The service department said that they did a complete charging/starting test and then recharged the battery....I haven't had a problem with it not starting since then.

70

My 2014 Avalon Touring was purchased in Alril 2014. I am having the same problem. It just clicks and does not start, but very randomly. They say battery checks out--it goes a month or so and does it again. If it sits awhile, it will start with no problem. Very random and unpredictable. Did you find out what the problem was with yours?

50

Having the same problem with 2013 Avalon Ltd. After one year car would not start, had it towed to dealer where they replaced the battery. This year during winter, same problem. Car will not start when it gets cold and sits overnight. If it's jumped it runs fine, and can start all day long with np. After a few days, it's dead again.

75

Did they check the charging system? It sounds like the charging system is not producing enough to recharge the battery and maintain the electrical needs of the car's electrical systems,(Lights, radio, power seats etc.) Another check would be a drain test on the battery to see if there is an excess drain when every system is off.

75

Has anyone bought an after-market remote starter for a 2014 Avalon? Do they work well? How expensive are they?

I bought my 2014 Avalon in Jan of 2015. 6 months later with only a few thousand miles on the car, went on a trip for a week leaving the car in my warm garage. Came back and it was deader than a doornail, I mean, nothing. Beck Toyota had it towed to their shop. They replaced the battery and more or less told me that, hey Grandpa, you need to drive it more. 6 months later, another 1 week trip and the same thing. Finally someone in their shop told me to look on page 99 in the manual and it said to hold the lock button down and hit the unlock button twice and this would disable most of the electrical. Next weekly trip, I tried that and it worked. Next trip for 10 days, dead again. After waiting on Beck Toyota in Indpls to send a wrecker for 4 hrs, finally called AAA and got it jumped. Sent owner's daughter and the general mgr of the dealership a one page email on July 8, 2017 explaining these problems and I haven't heard a word from them ... It is now Aug 2, 2017. I guess they figure the car will be out of warranty in Jan 2018 so if they just wait it out, they're in the clear. I don't understand paying $40,000.00 for an automobile and having the dealer treat like this.

75

I would have the dealer do a power drain test on the battery. They would need the car overnight to check for any electrical drain from the various components on the car like charcoal cannister motor, trunk light, etc that could be draining the battery.