Where can I purchase a spare doughnut tire for a 2014 Accord Hybrid 17 inch tire since they don't come with one?

120

Asked by Feb 26, 2014 at 07:19 PM about the 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring

Accord hybrids do not come with one.

261,405

Your car comes with run flat tires, so no need to add a spare, It was deleted due to weight to help in MPG. Are you thinking of replacing the run flat tires with regular ones?

120

Sorry to tell you this Mark, but the 2014 Hybrid Accord does NOT come with run flats, it has regular tires, You can check this by calling the Honda Dealer nearest you or the web site. It comes with a funky Pump that uses either air or a sealant. The sealant is for small holes less than 1/4 inch. You are correct it is to help MPG. It is however in my opinion a safety issue.

120

Sorry Tom I called you Mark.

120

The dealer is able to get you a spare donut tire, it is the same tire that is for the regular 2014 Accord. it will fit in the same space just take out the funky foam insert. I have a 2014 hybrid and everything fit right into place. Total cost $250. for the tire and tools.

45

Where is your dealer located? My dealer won't sell me one..

Best Answer Mark helpful
210

Nor mine. Of course if you don't tell them it's for a hybrid you might have better luck. I bought a brand new one on eBay for $99. I notice there are still sellers with tires for around that price, although not necessarily brand new. Another thing to consider is a full spare. I didn't try to fit a full tire in the space left when I removed the foam insert, but some quick measurements indicated there may be just enough room. Of course you should check it with one of your tires before making a purchase.

30

I have a 2015 Accord Hybrid Touring. I spoke with Honda Corporate US and they told me that the Hybrid wasn't designed to have a spare tire. Not happy about that seeing that a full size spare won't fit in the trunk, the sealant messes up the TPMS and a donut will void the warranty as it may cause damage.

210

Seagale, hmm...wonder if that is just because the car doesn't come with a donut, so anything added is a no no. I know that there are warnings not to use donut tires on the front. That brings up an interesting point, because I have never seen a car that comes with a donut equipped for dealing with a front tire flat. In that case the driver would need to rotate a good rear tire to the front and install the donut on the rear. That would involve either two jacks, or one jack and a jack stand, since the entire side of the car would need to be lifted to do this. (I now have two jacks and a donut.) As far as Honda not honoring the warranty, I'd contest that. My typical drive is through 30 miles of a deep canyon without any kind of cell service. I cannot call Honda tire repair, triple AAA, or anyone for help. Again, I can't see the sealant working for anything besides a slow leak, and if it's only a slow leak it can be pumped up with air and driven to the nearest tire repair facility. People who have to stop on the road with a flat usually have a blowout, and sealant can't touch this.

30

Stemsmore, thanks for the info. If Chevy can do a turn around and start to offer donuts again then you would think that Honda would do the same. It's a safety issue. My wife drives the Hybrid more than I do but I have a couple of tire repair kits in the trunk. When I spoke to Honda they told me that they don't even want a tire in the trunk in case of a rear end hit that could damage the battery. I love the car but I don't think Honda thought this one through.

We already tried using that ridiculous pump - on the side of an interstate with our 5 yr old grandson in the car - all it did was pump that goo out of the hole in the tire. We have our local tire dealer looking into getting a baloney that will fit. Our Honda dealer was useless. One doesnt think about the spare until you need it. Love the car otherwise but it's enough to think about maybe getting rid of it if we cant have a spare.

210

Exactly what I would expect, most emergency flats are not the slow leaks that goo will seal. You can order a spare from a Honda dealer if you don't tell them it is for a Hybrid. Problem is, they charge $200, and it may come in separate pieces (wheel, tire, valve stem). I got a brand new one on eBay for $100, I searched (donut,spare) Accord (2014,14,2015,15). I made sure that it fit before I offered feedback. I think I found other online autoparts sellers that had them, but they were a little more pricey.

210

Seagale, funny how the answer changes about why the Hybrid has no spare, depending on who you talk to at Honda Corp.. Neither weight nor safety was a concern when they put a spare in the first generation civic hybrids. I have also heard that Canada Accord Hybrids come with spares. If weight is a concern there ought to be a warning about not having passengers. If safety is a concern, then there ought to be a warning about carrying solid objects in the trunk, for they are more in the line of impact than the spare, which hangs BELOW the bottom of the battery. As a matter of fact, the wheel well for the spare is directly in line with the gas tank, which is located under the rear passenger seat. If they have safety concerns it should be about fuel tank impact, and it is all Accords, and many other models that are "danger" because they have spares. I suspect the real reason is to save money.

120

For those who have a Honda Accord Hybrid here is your answer pull out the foam liner in your trunk there is a space for a donut spare tire and tools these can be purchased at the Honda dealer parts department. I have done this it fits perfectly if you would like a picture of it send me your number I'll text you one if you argue long enough they'll sell it to you for $250. Also save the little pump it does work great for bicycle tires or basketballs. Have some fun , Ask the Honda dealer why a regular Honda Accord has a spare tire, all the tools and the hybrid does not.

140

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid: I was reviewing the owner's manual for the 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid and noticed on page 176 under the "Cargo Section" a warning to not carry a temporary spare in the trunk because a severe collision to the rear of the car could cause damage to the hybrid battery and cause a leak of flammable electrolytes. This was surprising because the marketing release by Honda states that the car is delivered with a temporary spare. This is a significant safety issue for me. Given the warning in the owner's manual, I would not buy a car that strongly warns against keeping a temporary spare in the trunk. My current vehicle had a blowout from a pot hole (2 years ago) and my prior truck had a blow out once (7 years ago). I would not own a car that does not come delivered with a temporary or full-sized spare. More significantly - to have an owner's manual specifically include a warning to not store a temporary spare is quite disconcerting given that I have a 7 year old that would be sitting in the backseat center with a battery full of highly flammable electrolytes just on the other side of the seat - whether damaged by a temporary spare or some other unforeseen event...

10

i'm buying one anyway, and putting it in the little storage space for it in the trunk. In the event of a serious rear end accident, as someone else will have struck my car, if the impact is enough to cause that much damage, the guy who hit me is going to be on the hook anyway. I have never heard of an insurance claim being denied or reduced because the legal stuff you were carrying in the trunk caused damage to the car when someone ran into you.

210

I agree. And besides, if you look at a diagram of the car, you will see it is the gas tank, not the battery that is in front of the spare tire. If impact is a problem due to this tank, the standard Accord, with spare time, is not free from it.

Does anyone know if the spare for a 2014 - 2016 will fit a 2017?