So when my car is in Park and I start it, for some reason, all of a sudden, it will not release from Park to be able to put it in to gear to drive. Then if I shut the car off and try and put it into gear it'll move freely into any gear and then I can put it into Neutral and start it be find and it shifts fine and everything. WTF? Oh and btw it's an automatic transmission. Can anyone help me? Also, I was already told that I have to replace the alternator but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with the transmission problem, would it?

15

Asked by Jan 02, 2015 at 10:05 PM about the 2002 Ford Mustang GT Premium

71,655

The brake/shift lock solenoid is not working. It is in the center console in close proximity of the shifter. HTH. -Jim

8,740

Blew a 15 amp fuse i bet.

15

I checked all the fuses and they are all good. Last night I also noticed that my brake lights weren't working so I did my research and found that the brake light switch connector had a wire that was severed for some reason so I'm gonna replace that and hope that fixes the problem. if not the brake light switch might of gone bad also.

71,655

Definitely could be the switch or that wire. If it's a known problem with your car I'd check that first. HTH. -Jim

8,740

ARE THEY STILL doing that>? sheesh, that green wire has been doing that since the tin lizzie ! .... amazing...yes an open circuit in this case is a damaged wire instead of the fuse. so what damaged the wire ? reach? harness pigtail locator missing ? I dont know. I thought that was fixed years ago.

2,675

It's the brake switch, that is ether broke, or needs to be adjusted, thats where i would start....hope this helps. O and it is something you can do yourself, the dealership or mechanic shop will charge up the [you know what] for parts,and labor!!!!!!!!!

8,740

The asker said, "I did my research, and found that my brake light switch had a wire that was severed, so i'm going to replace that" Then i read the entry, and suggested the harness to the switch is being damaged because its locator may have been detatched. If someone puts a foot up there and damages it ? It must be hanging down to give them access. Repairing that wire would be difficult unless you removed that section and repaired it, then reattatched the section making just 2 connections required. Since access is difficult, lets face it, the body must bend in ways not humanly possible, the car has to be lifted up on the lift. The other way is to disassemble the instrument panel for access. not recommended. Good luck because the angle required for those metallic end connectors is like an "L" that means you save and fix those that are in there. The last time I aked Ford parts for a brake light switch pigtail connector they gave me an estimate for cleaning their uniforms after they all were through rolling around on the floor. Ingenuity on the repair persons part is the trick here. You do not want connections added where it "hinges" to follow the pedal's movement.

8,740

Another idea is a length of the harness pigtail from any ford in a wrecking yard. Then you could decide the replacement section's length, and make it custom to your access and bundle the excess for future access. Good luck getting that accomplished in a half hour like a shop would charge. That's like 50 bucks to repair yours, a reasonable price for brake lights and correct shifter operation.

71,655

You can also try rockauto.com for the pigtail. HTH. -Jim

8,740

Great butt the length of the leads may create a repeat of the broken wire. Getting longer leads can put the connection away from where the pedal movement would bend it back and forth or pull against the length. Getting both your arms up in there is a real treat. use a lift.

10

I have the same sort of problem stuck in park and no break lights fuses keep blowing already replaced the brake light switch on the pedal it's still blowing fuses any ideas guys ?