2014 Santa Fe 2.0T check engine light came on at 8000 miles, dealership says cylinder 3 misfire code and is probably a result of cheap gas. Anyone have similar issue or are they feeding me a line. I have seen others people seeking similar info on cylinder 3 misfires when I do a google search, although they are asking about earlier models and don't find many answers. Any thoughts?

70

Asked by Jul 15, 2014 at 11:04 PM about the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T Sport AWD

Dealership says cylinder 3 misfire code and is probably a result of cheap gas. Anyone
have similar issue or are they feeding me a line. I have seen others people seeking
similar info on cylinder 3 misfires when I do a google search, although they are asking
about earlier models and don't find many answers. Any thoughts?

60,065

Yes,i would let them run compression check on all cylinder,s cause something like a valve is a little off,if it randomly misfire,s,just my thoughts. Good luck with it.

60,065

I think the head cylinder,s on a lot of these were bad from the get go.But will Hyunda admit it?

70

Thanks, that stinks. Love the suv but really unhappy that it's in the shop at only 8k miles. the guy did say compression error or signal, but again stated its probably the fuel. They are keeping it over night to consult with Hyundai service consultant tomorrow morning.

70

Round 2, well 800 miles later the engine light came back on again. Is anyone else having similar problems with 2014's?

55

I purchased my 2014 Santa Fe 2.0T in Feb. First rec'd report of engine control module problem via Bluelink monthly rpt in May (1500mi). Next had ck engine light appear in June (cyl 2) (1700mi). Took for service. Coil pack adjusted. Had ck engine light again in July (cyls 2, 3 and "multiple" misfires) (2200mi). In service now for nearly a month. Awaiting cylinder head replacement due to defect (in casting). There must be others out there with this defect. My build date was Jan. 2014, I think. My husband understands this stuff much better than I, but I am certainly heartbroken! Love the car, but very frustrated.

70

Yes it is. After second time at shop, they had a regional rep come down and entered a "computer update" to see if that would fix problem. I feel like they just turned off the check engine light because it still runs rough. Mine was built August 2013.

55

I did not have rough ride, but few times some lag on acceleration. No real performance issues - just the misfire codes. Initially, I think a computer issue was considered. Srvc said they moved everything around to see if the prob would follow and it did not, so they suspected the head. They consulted tech line, and reg rep came out with scope to confirm. The first new head rec'd had the same defect (which is why I assume there are others out there w/the same issue); they are currently installing another, which apparently is ok. I saw pics of the head - a couple of the openings for fuel injectors (?) were misshapen, so more egg-shaped than round.

10

My 2013 turbo sport is in the shop for the second time for engine issues. The first time after they fixed the piston issue, the shop made no mention of upgrading what kind of gas we should use. This time, at about 20k miles, the first thing the mechanic said was we need to be using chevron 91 or 94 only. They can't seem to determine what the problem is and why the check engine light is on. It has been over a week, and the cylinder head has been sent back to a hyundai factory for testing. Extremely frustrated, want to love this car, but maybe trading in is worth consideration. Unfortunately, I don't know how any of that works.

20

I have had engine light come on numerous times. It is due to vapor lock and remidied by removing gas cap and replacing. Usually clears after driving 20-25 miles. Seems that it was happening when i tried to get as much gas in tank as possible. I now stop as soon as gas pump clicks. It is much better, but still happens occassionally. Spoke with service guy last time and he never heard of vapor lock, not impressed.

30

I'm also having engine light problems with my 2014 Santa Fe Sport. Took it to in and it took a while for them to find the problem. They said that a rock hit the protection panel where the engine light system is located and now I need a new part and of course it is not covered by the warranty as it was caused by an outside influence.???? Any thoughts...

70

I got tired of the dealership I was working with, tried to push lemon law and they denied because I purchased it used as it was a lease return with only 2.5K miles. Even though it was certified by them and still had a full transferable warranty. So, I took it to a competitor about 60 miles away and traded it in for another 2014. Same model only different color and had only 4 miles on it. They actually gave me a great deal and didn't loose any money. They said they would do anything to take a customer from a competitor. Just hope I don't have same issue, really love the car. Wish you luck with it, sounds like they are scamming you. They give you a photo of the "rock" damage? Suggest getting second opinion from another hyndai dealership.

I am having this problem as well. Happened on the afternoon AFTER I had a starter problem in the morning. Not sure if i didn't press down hard enough on brake and button at the same time but the car switched off. then tried to restart--but seeing as how I am still not used to this button pushing bizness--I didn't go all the way back to off until the third try. Then it started with a chug-chug (had flooded the engine??) Engine light was on during this process but I figured it was because I messed up. Later that day, the engine light went on while driving and bluelink started running and said I had a problem. Took it in that afternoon and three days later, still no answer. It's a 2014 bought in August...about 4K on it. Under full warranty so fingers crossed. Like others here, I love the car but am worried. They did ask how I felt my fuel efficiency had been. Crappy, actually. The one thing I was disappointed in with the car. Never owned an SUV before. Figured it was just a gas hog.

30

Just got my est to fix the canister close valve of my new 2014 Santa Fe that was hit by a rock so not under warranty (how nice) The cost will be canister valve is $327.27 and the labour is $87.50 so I'm looking at $414.77 + tax + fees-total cost will probably be just under $500.00. You would think they would have put that valve in a more protective spot. Have a nice day-Help F

20

I had the check engine light come on 2/13/2015 with 15,385 miles on my 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0; Dealer said it was cylinder 3 misfire code. I dropped it off at 12:45 pm EST. They performed an oil change an annual NYS inspection and an update to the car's computer eliminating the check engine light. All that done in two hours in time to pick up my kindergartner from school. I hope that solves the issue as I read other posts stating the issue arose after 800 or so miles.

30

Here is the Ans I received 6854 Canister Close Valve was hit (Rock) and dislodged scanned for codes// codes found--P0455: evaporative emissions system leak detected//checked for update /// found tsb 13- 30-009.. atempted to updateecu- no updates found (update # is different then current ROM ID# /// will open hytac case for diagnosis// cleared codes /// after further inspection found CANISTER CLOSE VALVE was hit underneath vehicle, dislodging it from charcoal canister. The only thing I understand is that it will cost me $500.00 to fix as it is NOT UNDER WARRANTY due to the ROCK>hitting it.. Nothing about Gas. Just plastic cover to protect that important part!!!!

I've had my check engine light come on now for the 3rd time in 4 months; it has 11,000 miles. They replaced the fuel injectors which they said was the intitial problem. It's now on again, taking it back this Friday.

I also have a 2014 2.0 sport my engine light came on in May 2015 The dealer said it is a misfire and moved it to the 2nd cylinder. Friday June 12 light came on again I couldn't drive kept buckling over 40. Had to get it towed Dealer just called and said that cylinder misfired and will have to contact to see about a new motor or engine ? what THE !@# Oh also this has been happening with 2013 & 2014 Sport coming into his dealership

My 2014 sante fe has similar issues. Engine light displaying as well as oil pressure light. Only 15k miles and under warranty of course but seems to be a sensor issue.. Will keep you posted

I am not a mechanic but I AM HAVING SAME ISSUES W 2001 FORD ESCAPE. After diagnostic done was told needed new ECM. You all sound like your ignition coils misgiving causing issue w ECM

20

Had the check engine light come on at 8,000. they said I overflowed at the gas pump, and the canister was full, and it had to be replaced as well as a filter. They did it under warranty. Now at 14,000 miles - same problem. They said it's MY fault.I never top off the tank so I know I did nothing wrong. They want me to pay $900 to replace the canister and the filter. I am in contact with Hyundai Customer Service - it sounds like a major defect to me - they can have the car back - i'm not paying $900 every 8-10 tankfuls.

My 2013 Santa Fe sport have cylinder 3 misfire since 9000 km, it is now 50+ km, the dealership has done everything possible including pulling the head to changing the computer, and the problem still exist. changing the motor seem like the only next thing to do, thankful to my dealership they always give me a loner car.

We had a misfire in our 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0, cylinder 2, totally destroyed and engine is being replaced under warranty. Only 12,361 miles

I think i have similar problem with my 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0t. Took it for servicing and was picked up the same day evening. The following morning i realised the vehicle is not driving as smooth. An unusual idle almost ready to cut off. By mid afternoon the engine light came on. Took it for check up. The light was gone,..By the time i got home same issue..I am like what in the world is going on? The vehicle had no issues prior to servicing.

shame i loved the TURBO the spark plugs are breaking & falling into the engine dealer would not admit it this was a recall /warranty issue. i had to get it towed again. for$$$ turned it in im in V6 SANTE FE it's older model but no problems