2014 toyota tacoma 6 cyl.; where is the transmission dipstick? how do you check fluid level?

Asked by Feb 05, 2014 at 02:32 PM about the 2014 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab V6 SB

New truck;  just trying to do general service / maintenance and couldn't locate the transmission dipstick,for gosh sake(ever feel DUMB !) HELP !!

Your not dumb, the truck doesn't have a trans dipstick. The fluid is added and checked via a fill plug on the side of the transmission case accessible from under the truck. There is a proceed for draining and filling the trans and not a normal DIY. The fluid should be good for a long time. Toyota recommends 100K miles, you can do it sooner, like 60K if you want.

Welcome to the modern age of truck care- see ?not all new things are bad. This is just one less messy chore you have to worry about.

Hi, i used to change trans oil myself , would it be possible you can show me in the diagram how to check and refill the fluid. I just don't know how to do it on the truck that doesn't have the dipstick thanks

Freddy Mae

Go to toyota dealer

Freddy Mae

Iam sorry I called you guys dummies I gust iam upset that my toyota tacoma 2013 which I got from fritzgerald toyota Gaithersburg md which I brought new had 200 miles on it not the usual 5 miles on new truck , which means someone drove the bloody truck how fast I don't know to the dealer in md from lees burg va how fast I don't know which May have affected my trans shift problems now , or refill trans fluid

Freddy Mae

The japanese designer who design this toyota truck May had too much sake, because this 2013 tacoma have a driver side hydronic lifter rattle they say at dealer they all have the same problem, which is ok for them but not ok for me. And the trans with no dipstick, which is not good who the hell will go underneath this rice burner truck to check trans fluid, they say 100k miles change fluid I say 30 k miles I'll bet you people who owners newer tacoma open your trans pan at 30 k will see a black fine powder on top of your old tran filter check and see for your self

Thank you Freddy for the apology. re the 200 miles, what did the dealer say when you showed them (hopefully before acceptance)? The dealer is still obligated to the New Car Warranty. That is your defense against any drive train problems you discover. The design of new generation engines and transmissions used by most major manufactures today have extraordinary close tolerances compared to even just a few years ago. There have also been advances in metallurgy for these components which have different lubrication requirements than the engines and transmissions of the past. As a rule opening a sealed system just to see if something is there, without any prior indication of a problem, is for me, I believe unwise. If you truly feel as knowledgeable as the Toyota Certified Mechanics and have access to any needed diagnostic equipment used for todays complex systems, then you no doubt would be comfortable in doing the maintenance schedule you support. Fortunately I have a dealer service department that I have been using for many years and I know them and they know my Toyotas that they have and do keep running trouble free. Good Luck with your new Tacoma.

Norma Ray

All the time, especially being a girl. I once ask a question at an auto store and the clerk ask me what color my engine was. Anyway....... If you have a newer vehicle, check your owners manual. It should help you pinpoint those engine components locations. Hopefully.

Norma; Many times these "clerks" love to show how auto savvy they are by showing their superior knowledge to the just regular folks that come in (including us guys) too. Don’t be too put off, if the clown-er-clerk is not being helpful. Ask for the manager to see if he takes your business (i.e. your money) seriously. If not there's all ways the next auto parts store down the road. Or throw it back to ‘im with things like: 1. How many degrees before top dead center (BTDC) is the ignition setting on a 1956 Rambler Ambassador Special V8? 40 A (After)TDC 2. How many main bearings on a 1963 Fairlane 6? 7main bearings (all other 6 cylinders had 4) ; (V8s had 5) Keep asking questions and learning.