2014 Mini Cooper h/t just blew engine with 2600 miles has anyone had same problem

Asked by Aug 23, 2014 at 11:07 PM about the 2014 MINI Cooper Coupe Base

Loud pop noise followed by smoke coming from engine and oil all over compartment has
any one experienced this problem. Car has been in shop several times for a variety of
issue.

65,645

Haven,t had this problem,but i think,the dealer would replace my motor,or more in my mind give me a new car.

22,415

woah- under warranty, it can be fixed- but the real question is: why keep a car like this?

Look up the Lemon Law in your State and exercise it to get another car NEW or your money back..including all fees taxes, interest paid if financed...What State are you in?

1,155

This is obviously a defect in manufacturing or a dealer error. I owned a 2011 Mini that I absolutely loved, all issues were fairly minor and fixed by the dealer. I know that the dealer, if it was a Mini Dealer, the vehicle is covered. They will make it right, give them a shot, Tell them you want a new engine.

275

I would not tell them I wanted a new engine - I would tell them I want the nice feeling of having a new car back, but check you state's lemon laws first

I have had that same issue with my new car, would you please email me at evanschmidt@charter.net

40

I have a 2014. yesterday, the oil filter housing failed as I was driving. Got a message "drive train malfunction: drive moderately." a few minutes later, "Drop in oil pressure. slow to a stop." Pulled off freeway. Oil pouring out of my car. I am waiting for the repair details right now.

I had a similar issue 2 weeks ago with my 2014 mini hardtop. Exact same sequence like the one mentioned by tms. It's been 2 weeks, car is still with the dealer -- they may do an engine change.

@sevan -- just emailed you..

40

By way of update regarding my 2014 mentioned above: The mechanic discovered that a weld failed, causing the oil drainage. They replaced the oil filter housing and said the car was fixed. As I drove out of the shop, the light came back on: Drivetrain Malfunction. Now, the car is getting a new engine. Due to get it back tomorrow. It spent 5 weeks at the dealers. I may return it under the lemon law.

10

My new 2014 did the same thing in February. The dealer is replacing the engine. I'm getting it back today 6 weeks later. I have no faith or trust in the safety of that car now. Anyone had luck under the lemon law?

I have the same problem with my 2014 Mini 2dr. I reported it to the NHTSA. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ Please report your issues also so they recall this defective car. There is some really safety issue in this matter.

I just had this happen today, pulled off the road and oil was pouring from beneath the engine. Car is 10 months old and done 9000 miles. Very disappointed!

Update: my 2014 min cooper had another drive train malfunction. it stayed in the dealership for 2 weeks. I am now in the process of getting it replaced or refunded. I am also asking for reimbursement of expenses. you guys should report it to nhtsa. there is pattern here. they might say it is a "gasket seal" problem and "vacuum" problem in the engine.