egr valve problems

35

Asked by Dec 16, 2007 at 11:32 AM about the 2002 Ford Mustang Base

My wife bought a 2002 base model mustang with the 3.8L v-6 engine, shortly after we had a check engine light come on and had it tested. the problem showed as insufficient flow in the EGR. I was told the sensor was bad so i replaced it, the light went off after a few starts then 1 yr later popped back on, same problem. I replaced the EGR valve itself this time with no change, I also removed and cleaned the tubes comming from the exhust. Any other suggestions i might try?

you could try replaceing the oxygen sensorsyour car should have 3 one on each manifold and one behind cat conveter.this can be expensive about $50 each,you could also have a bad cat.you might want to have it scaned,autozone will do this for free,good luck.

Best Answer
43,535

You might also have carbon build-up in where the EGR tubes attach. Suggest having a dealership or mechanic check this out, before you go replacing things.

35

when i removed the tubes for cleaning, i found them to be surprisingly clean, also could see no carbon buildup in the manifold, that is what made it so difficult to fix the problem, thanks for all the help!!

35

I will talk to my mechanic and find out what he thinks i should try first, thanks for the advice!

1,255

If the EGR sensor shows low flow , it could be the sensor itself , regardless of how old the sensor is , it can go at any time. If you put on allot of miles on the car , things can wear with age . You should also check all wiring to the sensor ( it needs power , ground and a third wire sends a signal to the ECM / computer ) If the EGR is ok , make sure all lines are clear of carbon . If the EGR is vacume operated , make sure it is getting its supply from the EGR solenoid, this usually will kick in when car is in park and revved over 1500 rpm. If it is electronic , if the EGR has wires to it instead of a vacume line , you will be better of to have it checked over by a mechanic. He/she can do a diagnostic test to see if the EGR is able to do its job , accessing the on board computer can enable one to get data feedback on EGR performance , and tests can be done to command the EGR to go on , and so the mechanic can determine if the EGR is working or not .