my motor is knocking really loud i don't know what it could be?

30

Asked by Feb 04, 2016 at 09:13 PM about the 2002 Ford Mustang Base

i have a 2002 ford mustang V6 ive had my car parked for almost a year
now and i still can not figure out what the knocking noise is i have changed
the oil pump and changed the oil three times i have also resealed the
gasket on the oil pan, it has a re built transmition and brand new alternator
and starter. ive had it scanned and the only thing that comes up is the
vaccume seal on theintake is bad i have since fixed that problem and it still
knockes

47,415

A loud knock could be a rod knock. If you have a rod knock then your engine is getting ready to blow up.

47,415

Pinging is another thing. If you try premium gas it might go away if that is the problem.

30

so what would you suggest i do i dont want to get rid of the car should i just look for a new motor or is there something i can replace to fix it?

30

ive tried different gas and it did nothing but the knocking sounds like two metal pieces being slammed together

47,415

If it is a rod knock then you would need a new engine or you could sell it as is for a few hundred.

47,415

A band aid fix would be to have a mechanic drop the oil pan and install new rod bearings. I can't say how long it would last and if the crank is damaged it won't work.

4,915

DETONATION occurs when the spark appears way too early...first I'd set the timing...then inspect the oil for brass shavings...condition of the oil and change the oil pump~ stop it from the detonation...if someone has changed the timing belt recently there is a possibility the cam is occurring early or at totally the wrong time~ so there are a couple of things that may cause the knocking...LEAN gas, early spark, messed cam timing~ ain't that special~!

4,915

your engine may still be okay...say the timing is exactly reverse....would spark when it's trying to do the compression stroke...and BAM...a little trouble as the explosion occurs exactly when we are looking for compression...am aware of this problem from my defective Nissan Altima who oil dripped on the distributor and went wacky...trying to destroy itself...as I say make sure spark is goin down right...then we move onto major crap like these gurus seem to think~

47,415

A loud, metal on metal knock is almost certainly a rod knock.

4,915

well she did not say how exactly this happened...perhaps the oil change guy left out the plug (seen that) or the wrong filter was put on there (seen that too) so the motor would run without oil...thing is the RED light would come on~...so that's why I'm thinking distribution troubles...that one has a mechanical distributor those days ....thinkin' spark, my friend~

4,915

Knocking would be because of a lean condition...perhaps they overtorqued the intake gaskets....that would account for the lean condition, knocking and lack of performance...might "whistle" from the leak too...seen that on a Jeep 6 cylinder~

30

It doesn't whistle its just a loud knocking noise and I did the oil changes and changed everything on that car myself but the knocking didn't start happening till after I changed the week barrings because I had gone trough a flood could it also have happens because the motor sucked water up into the oil or the exhaust?

47,415

Water into the engine could ruin a rod bearing.

30

Would it pop up after three months because it wasn't making that noise right away it didn't start making that noise till after I changed the week bearings and the breaks

47,415

The bearings and brakes would have no relation to the engine issues. You need to have a mechanic check out the noise.

30

Alright thank you for your help

4,915

check the condition of the oil for brass shavings~ change again with a new filter, if there~

15

2 things, when you change the oil drain the oil from the filter through a paper towel or coffee filter to check for metal shavings The other is, when a car is left, and not run for a while the fuel will deteriorate, especially with the new fuel mixes. Do not be fooled by using premium fuel to store. It is used the least and has a better chance of moisture accumulation. StaBil has a great storage formula that I have used every winter and used monthly for my rentals in Florida to counteract the ethanol fuel. Last, sometimes when a car sits, the lifter springs go bad and you could be hearing the clicking of the springs.