I'm purchasing a 2014 Mazda Miata MX-5 Grand Touring hardtop; no spare. What do I buy to use like a donut?

Asked by Feb 14, 2017 at 11:14 AM about the 2014 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring Convertible w/ Retractable Hardtop

This vehicle does not come with a spare which makes me nervous.  Too many
flats over the years due to potholes on the streets.  I want to purchase a
"donut" that could be used in an emergency.  What do I get?

58,255

Talk to your Mazda dealer's parts department and they can guide you.

92,025

If it will fit in the trunk maybe a spare from a different model Mazda would work. Check with your local tire shop to see if they have suggestions but you will lose the use of the trunk!

a spare from an RX-8 will work........

6,550

As you've figured out a loaded wheel won't fit in the trunk. I simply use the provided pump and slime, as well carry pliers and a hole plugger tool and a few plugs, hoping I don't eat a sidewall on a curb. So far ok after 8 years, so don't sweat it.

RUN-FLAT Tires are really that! If you get a dashlight tire warning, you are perfectly SAFE to drive UP to 50 miles as long as you keep the speed UNDER 50mph. And I'm a little old grandma driving her third Miata since 1991. While I've got your attention: I Re-Fuse the RF. Fastback is borrrring and vestigal support breaks everything including my low- gravity line of sight.

6,550

The OE run-flats are unanimously despised by the MX-5 community, as they ride like rocks and their excess weight compromises handling compared to great summer tires that are available. To that end I run high end Dunlop and Bridgestone summer tires and carry the pump 'n slime. So far (8 summers) w/ no regrets. This is a situation where AAA or towing insurance is the better choice than compromised handling or removing your passenger seat to carry a full-sized 5th wheel!

92,025

Ernie you just need a Continental kit for your Miata ;)