2014 Honda CRV transmission seems to shudder or jump when shifting between 2 and 3rd at low acceleration speeds. is the normal?

Asked by Guru9R332 Jul 17, 2017 at 07:04 PM about the 2014 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD

1,840

I'm seeing this, too. Happens between 25mph and 30mph at slow acceleration

710

Mine is doing the same thing. I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow. Hoping it's covered under my extended warranty.

1,840

Did they cover it? Did you have to pay anything out of pocket?

710

I had to pay $60 for the software update. It's a known problem that they say is corrected with this software update :)

1,350

I just bought a 14 crv last week and I've noticed that the car "shutters" at about 25mph especially if im slightly turning the wheel. It's happened three times already! What is the issue/ solution ?

470

Mine does the same thing too, between 20-40 mph! What was the fix??

1,840

Mine was fixed after the software update and change of transmission fluid as per the TSB. The dealership didn't charge me.

180

Software update and fluid change by dealer worked for about a week, now back worse then ever.

170

Same here - has been a year and I have over 80,000 miles on mine. Dealership didn't charge me to change transmission fluid or do a software update. Lasted about 2 months. Think it is time for a trade in....

1,350

Just last month I purchased a 14 Honda CRV EXL AWD with 50k within a week I felt the "shutter"/"vibration" when slowly accelerating. It was def more noticeable between 20-30 mph. The dealership took a look at it and acknowledged the issue they did a software update along with a full transmission flush/ fluid change at no cost to me. Really hoping this resolves the issue b/c to say that I'm concerned/pissed off is an understatement!

200

I have the same shudder at 25 mph. First the dealer did the transmission fluid change but that didn’t work. Then they did they software update. But it still shakes at the same speed so now my CRV will have new parts installed in the transmission. Th dealer said that’s what it needs. Something about the transmission misfiring.

100

Had the same shudder. Took to dealer. They did a Software update and changed transmission fluid. It no longer shakes or rattles but at times i still feel a very slight trimmer. If it becomes real noticeable will take back to dealer.

100

Forgot to mention. No charge. Dealer said it was covered by warranty.

190

Can anyone please give me an update on if their vehicle is still running well after software update and transmission flush after more than 2 or 3 months?

710

Mine came back after the software update. I ended up trading it in because my extended warranty was almost up and they were adamant it was fixed even though it wasnt.

1,350

It's been just about two months since I've had the total flush and software update so far so good.

60

Ugh, i just bought mine 3-5 days ago ... Smh. It is a light shake @ around 30 miles and hour, nothing major, so I'm praying they fix it and make sure they do what is needed.

1,350

Don't waste any time bring it right back to them and be very specific when explaining the issue. Assuming you got it from a dealership you'll be fine they should fix it at no cost to you.

1,840

Mine worked well for a few months; the shudder is back now after 7 months, but seems less pronounced than before.

150

Ours was getting ridiculous with the vibration. My husband decided to take it off the "ECONO" mode and it's stopped. That may be the fix.

240

I have a 2012 CRV EXL AWD. I got the software update and transmission fluid flush and it fixed the issue in Sept 2017. The shudder just started coming back almost a year later. I reported it to American Honda but they supposedly don’t have any records of this happening in other 2012 models. Please call and report. They can get in trouble for hiding these problems. I’m extremely disappointed in Honda. This is my 3rd Honda and probably my last one.

240

Also, I never use Econo mode so this was not a thing for mine.

120

I just purchased my 2014 crv two wheel drive 2 weeks ago. The same shudder at approx 35-40km an hour. They took it in and did the transmission flush and software update and nothing happened. Brought it back and they thought possibly an axel. They replaced that but once again nothing changed. My car is now in the shop - for the last time before i return it. They are changing the torque converter. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

110

I have no answer but I do have the same problem....my 2014 Honda Crv started this shudder in the spring. I have 150000 on my vehicle.....mechanic changed plugs....no fix, changed tranny fluid...no fix....changed rear diff fluid....no fix....I have had extremely good mileage, performance and reliability with this vehicle up until the transmission thing....these are very expensive trannys and I am starting to worry cause Honda doesnt seem to have a fix.....certainly will not buy another

90

What about the rear differential? Can that be the issue?

100

Hi, I have a 2014 Honda CRV and I had the same shudder around 20-30MPH when I am slowed down on the highway, while stuck in traffic. They did the software update a few months ago but I still have this shudder. I will be taking this back to the dealer. The technicians had mentioned it could be the torque converter. Very disappointed that a 4 year old car with 50K miles has to have this type of problem. Wrong on so many levels. Shame on your Honda for using cheap parts.

1,840

Problem seems to be back in mine; its the not the pronounced shudder like last year, but a sluggishness in the shift (rpm climbs and then comes back down sharply) in that speed range. Is this covered by the drive-train warranty?

40

I had this problem within 2 yrs of purchase. The car shudders and struggles to accelerate between 20-25 mph especially in a bumper to bumper traffic. The dealer ship replaced the torque converter and it went away for couple of years. It resurfaced now in the last month or so. So i am on my way to the dealership and out of warranty now.

80

Oh, I forgot to mention that it occurs around 25mph and then again around 40mph.

1,840

Did you guys see that there was a class-action-settlement for the 2015 CR-V? I am not sure at what point one concludes that the issues we are discussing for the 2014 CR-V are systemic issues across the model?

240

I just found this sight. I was looking for answers. My crv 2013 rattles at 25 to 30 mph and now again when I get to 40 mph. Is there a solution?

100

My 2013 CRV (only 59,000 miles) was doing the same thing, guys at the dealership service department thouht I didn't know what I was talking about. Finally got one that would listen, and got it fixed yesterday. They did a software update and a transmission flush/change. Tried to charge my over $200 until I asked why it wasn't covered under warranty. He had to "look that up" and yes, it was all covered, no charge. Hopefully issue doesn't come back, I did NOT spend over $28,000 on a brand new Honda to have issues with it before 60,000 miles!

40

I have a 2012 CRV AWD (83,000 miles) and about 2 weeks ago it started shuddering/jumping between 20-35 mph. Had my mechanic check suspension, tires, wheels, etc. and he couldn't find anything wrong. Have a call into local Honda dealership to see if they have any Service Bulletins related to this issue...but based on what I'm reading on this site, sounds like its a known problem (across model years) without a real permanent solution. Guess I'll see what dealership says...maybe try fluid flush and software update.

245

Have a 2013 CRV (108,000KM/ 67,000 miles) and a few weeks ago had a shudder that started around 40-50 Kph / 24-31 mph. Checked transmission fluid and added 1/2 quart. Improved slightly. Drained 3 quarts and added three quarts of Honda DW1 transmission fluid. Shudder stopped completely. Will do another two drain & changes over the next month or two. It is easier than changing the oil. Tools needed 3/8 socket drive, phillip's head screwdriver, long funnel, drain plug crush washer 18mm. Beginner's time less than 1 hour.

50

I’ve noticed problems on my 2014 Honda CRV. I purchased my car in May 2018 and have had my car at the Honda dealership. It has been shuttering soon after I purchased my car. They added transmission fluid to it because they had a bulletin on it. I’m bringing it back to the dealership again for the same thing. I loved my old Honda CRV. I hope they replace my transmission. Kathy

500

I took my 2013 Honda CRV to my local dealership because I had noticed a low speed shudder. There is a service bulletin 15-086 that includes a software upgrade and transmission flush. If that does not work, service bulletin 17-040 is to change the torque converter after applying sb 15-086. Unfortunately I could not replicate the issue at the dealership so they would not do anything. The shuddering only seems to be when it’s cold. They told me I had until 80000 miles or 8 years to get this done. I may leave the car overnight next time so they can drive it cold. Hope this info helps someone else.

10

I have a 2012 crv AWD. This has been an issue since this last march. I have also been getting that sputtering between 20-30. Mechanic friend said its sometimes related to the Econ mode. I would say it feels like when accelerating the fuel isn’t getting through or the throttle Isn’t operating as should. I used sea foam to help clean out the lines but this was a temporary fix. I bought new in 2012 and now have just over 60,000. Haven’t had the the trans fluid changed yet or anything else other than oil. This seems to be in issue with all models after 2011. Taking my crv into Honda in a week for update and trans fluid flush.

175

My 2013 has the "judder" issue as well for about a year now. It goes away if I take it out of overdrive, then it drives just fine but higher (safe) RPMs. It only does this judder between 25-35 mph. Very irritating. I have 97,000 miles on it and hope dealership will do something for me.

220

Glad I found this forum. We bought a 2014 crv new. It now has about 80000 miles on it and I have noticed a very mild shutter at about 25 mph upon acceleration. I've only had oil changes to this point and the dealer now insists they must "pull the transmission". I'm not willing to do that. Couple of questions: since it looks like they might be warranting this fox on some high mileage cars. Was there a recall for software update and transmission oil changes or is this just something we are supposed to know about? Is there a filter to be changed with the transmission service? Thanks for any help you can give.

60

I have a 2012 AWD crv EX and faced same situatio . After going to the dealer they recommended a trasmission fluid change after 40k. The shudder went off but after refering to my usual mechanic amd coming from prolonged honda vehicles experience he recommended a trany change at 30k if I wanna preserve my transmission life. Now I completed 30k exactly after last change and I noticed the shudder is sarting to come back. So I'm gonna be heading for a fluid again and a software update has nothing to do with the solution.

390

We need to file a class action law suit!!

230

I have a 2013 CRV. 60000 miles. Wheel wobble at 27 mph. Its getting worse!

180

Hi, i bought a Crv 2014 lx yesterday. It has 160000 kms on it. I have same shuddering issue . Will it be covered by honda , or i have to pay? Please advice.

175

I took my 2013 Honda CRV in to dealer. They said my transmission fluid was in horrible condition and so it needed to be changed. After checking with my extended warranty which would cover the software update and diagnostic they changed my tranny fluid 5 times with short drives in between to get all the bad stuff out. No changeable filter in the CRV tranny. So after 4 hours at dealer waiting my CRV is now software updated and drives great. Yes I was told I need to change tranny fluid every 30,000 miles as well. So instead of paying $700+ for this service, after my extended warranty covered the above mentioned items it cost me $450. Yes in my review I stated that since this is a known issue for CRVs that Honda should pay for all the software updating at no cost to vehicle owner. If the tranny fluid change is part of the "fix" Honda should absorb that cost as well. I bought my used CRV with 40,000 miles on it and this was done at 98,000 miles. So in reality I "missed" one tranny fluid change and it was supposedly totally corrupted fluid....I don't suppose the software needing to be updated to the system worked correctly would have anything to do with the corrupted tranny fluid? Just saying...

230

My 2013 CRV is out of warranty but because of the 20-30 mph shudder they changed the Transmission fluid and updated the software for free. Honda has bulletin about this issue. I think this is it https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10085226-2280.pdf. The problem has gone away for now. My concern is what will Honda do (or not do!) if the issue returns?

90

I had the same judder issue (20-25 mph slow acceleration) with my 2013 FWD CRV. 70k miles. Took to dealer. Bergstrom... They charged a $75 diagnostic fee to tell me what I already knew. I tried to argue out of that fee but oh well. They told me about the service bulletin and updated the software and flushed the trans for no additional cost and issue is gone for now. Bergstrom also told me about an extended warranty on the torque converter up to 8 years or 80k miles. If the issue comes back it'll likely be the torque converter. If it does come back I just hope its before 80k miles and not after. PS. On another CRV forum I found a recommendation for Dr. Tranny shudder fix. I ordered some but haven't used it yet. Might be helpful for those that are past the 80k miles.

20

have 2012 CRV AWD with 93K miles. Shudders at 20-30mph. wow this is a known issue and I am at the stealership as I write this. My car as it turned out was a certified pre owned and still has one year extended power train warranty on it (luckily and I was not aware of this). I will have them change the torque converter eventually. so sounds like the 30K transmission fluid change is a must on hondas as recommended. I wonder if this issue is a result of folks ignoring this. But regardless hondas should not have this issue period definitely not with less than 100k miles. never liked hondas transmission but then again all cars have their own set of issues

50

bought a 2014 crv awd 1 week ago.. shudder at 25 to 30 and 2nd to 3rd. fine and no shudder if hard on the gas. took it into honda , flushed tranny, did a re flash and it is fine.. oh and it has 43k miles.. nice suv for the $$$ . i will update if it returns...

40

If I turn off the stability control and traction system (car with slippery road off button), then I notice the issue doesn't occur at all. I think this is where the problem is, maybe the car thinks it is sliding for some reason and the system engages even at low speeds, or certain types of bumps like brick roads.

30

We have a 2013 CRV with the same issues. Just told hubby about the Econ button possibly playing a role in the wobble and he says he was noticing it more when in use. Never happens on highway driving only at low speeds. Will monitor now to see if using the Econ button less impacts the wobble or not. Definitely not happy about this problem, given Honda's reputation...and if course out of warranty now.

20

I took my 2013 Honda CR-V, 50,000 miles, to my local dealership because I noticed a shudder at low speed around 25 mph, usually only when starting up cold. They did not have a clue and never heard of the problem. Looking at these threads I told them there is a service bulletin 15-086 that includes a software upgrade and transmission flush. They agreed to do the service for a total cost of $350 but did not guarantee that this would fix the problem. Luckily the shudder did go away! Thanks for the help guys, keep up the good work.

50

update.. came back after 700 miles.. out of warranty . traded for a ford escape.

130

We just bought a 2012 crv with same problem. Took to dealer today they changed fluid said it must have already had the update done. It seemed better at first then came back. Bought Honda for reliability and now this. Garbage!! I will be calling an attorney Monday and look into how to file a class action suit And we should all get involved. I am sick of being sold absolute trash. Seems funny no one can build a transmission after how many decades of building cars. Seems like it may be intentional and Im sure it is!! Honda also garbage imagine that!!

500

Took my 2013 CRV to my local Honda dealer in November and their tech could not reproduce the low speed shudder. I took it in again last week and they were unaware of the service bulletin 15-086 until I insisted! Left the car with them to cool down and tech saw the low speed shudder. They changed the ATF and updated the software free of charge. However, the shudder has gone but I took a noticeable hit on my gas mileage, down about 3-4mpg.

105

My Car has the same issue. 2014 Honda CRV. This morning went to our Honda Dealership and did a test drive with a Honda mechanic who heard and felt the shudder as we came upon two onramps going around 30mps. He suggestion was a transmission fluid change, maybe up to 3 times, and check to see if there is an update. Fluid change is $120, for the mechanic to hook his fancy computer up for a chance of an update $120.00 out the door I was told $220 and probably would not fix but hope for the best! I said we would do the first tranny fluid change ourselves and left discouraged.

105

Liz, I saw your Service Bulletin 15-086. Printed it and called back Honda local. He said it's from neglect from not doing tranny change on a 2014 vehicle and $220 stills stands to do the service Bulletin.

30

After a software update, transmission fluid, transmission flush and new transmission parts the Dealership has been unable to fix the issue and I will start researching Lemon Law.

120

Having owned the Saturn Vue and now the Gen four CRV I have learned that Honda Transmissions need a change of fluid more often than Honda admits. There is no total change of fluid in these transmissions. You just drain the 3.5 Quarts or about a third of total capacity and add that amount every 20k or so and the transmission remains clear and the transmission runs and shifts smoothly. This is easily accomplished in the CR-V and is actually easier than an oil change. Been working for me on the Saturn Vue and the CR-V.. Get the Honda transmission fluid on line and do this up to three times if you haven't been doing the recommended interval. My vue was bad until the three times change and now is smooth as silk. The CR-V at 55K was starting the ole shake until I did the 3.5 quarts and it is now smooth. Will do another 3.5 quarts soon as I am not sure how previous owner did maintenance. Hondas do not employ the traditional filter and just depend on more frequent partial change to keep clean. Clean fluid means smooth shifting. Look up procedure which is drain all you can (3.5 Quarts) and then put 3.5 quarts back through dip stick funnel. Happy Motoring.

20

After reading most all these post and having a 2014 for 9yrs with only 64,000 miles. Had this been known a few years ago could of saved money. Am going see If the transmission change changes the outcome or not I just keep driving it like normal until it doesn't work anymore. Am in my 70's and I no longer drive 30 hwy miles to work every day. Hoping it will be fine, as long as going a little faster or letting off makes it stop. This wasent a cheap car. I'll keep changing the transmission fluid according to recommendation and that's it. Definitely mad about it but am not giving any more money to the dealership or Honda.

20

I have the shuddering but it seems way less pronounced than what a lot of you are describing. Feels like there are very small grooves in the road. Happens between 30-40 and only when it's cold. I'm going ytry the flush, but my question is has anybody had this start small and get worse? Because right now it's no big deal to me, but if I'm going to end up needing a new transmission I'll trade her in.

150

found this bullentin. hope it helps other here affected by the same thing. https://f01.justanswer.com/freefallin2005/71eff989-dc8c-493e-83e8-8f513cd4666e_crv.PDF

30

My 2014 CRV also has this problem periodically. However, I've also noticed that after it happens, during the same trip, if I continue to drive and then enter an interstate and try to accelerate it feels stuck in 3rd (or maybe even second, IDK). It whines, RPMs soar and can't seem to get into gear. Does anyone else have this problem?

Yes I had this problem. My Crv had very sluggish acceleration from 60-70mph and the engine made loud noise as if it is stuck in low gear. After getting past 70-73mph the engine would sound normal and the car will drive smooth. I went to the dealership just today and they did the transmission oil change and software update. This seems to have solved the problem for now. Don't know if this is a permanent solution.

40

2013 CRV with same problem. 1st mechanic said had original spark plugs - $277 dollars later- they said shutter was less (HA!) and needed software update. Called today to a dealer. They say need transmission fluid change and update. 115,00 mi on it. Changed oil regularly but didn't know anything about trany fluid change $400 is the expected charge. Will try the turning off the econ to see if that helps. Thanks for all the info. Yes-- Class action suit. No, no break on the repair- out of warranty

I have Honda CR-V 2014 with only 44k, and the same problems with the shake between 25-30 mpg. We need reported to American Honda, because they selling real trash.

150

Happens on mine with just 70000 miles on it, but the problem was there at 60000 miles but did not take too much notice of it then. The rear wheel feels as if it lifts off the ground and the vehicle vibrates ecessively. I called Honda and a dealership who said I need to pay for inspection, despite the fact that I brought up the existing service bulletin related to their faulty transmission. Only God knows how long before the vibration terrifies someone to the point of lost control and eventual loss of life. This is my third Honda. Owned a 1996 Accord and currently also ien a 2006 pilot, both of which run much smoother and better than the 2014 CRV. I wonder if Honda is becoming the lemon car of the 21stcentury. It is a shame, because I used to swear by these cars, but the CRV is quite a question mark isn't it?

150

I just filed a complaint using the address below... perhaps if enough people do the same, Honda will be forced into doing something about it. They are trying to make me pay for something that is a known problem and that just isn't correct. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

20

We are having the same issue with our 2012 Honda CRV. I remember taking the car like 3 times to the dealer for the vibration issue and when it was under warranty and one of the times the torque was changed however, the issue never went away completely. We took it back once more and we were told the car had no issues. Now the car has 100k miles and little by little the issue is getting worse. All at the 30 miles per hour mark. Now of course we are out of warrant and I don’t know what else to do. We are still paying for this car that obviously has issues since new...

150

drained and replaced the trans fluid. It has helped a lot. Problem is now gone. I'll change the trans fluid again in another 5k. Then let it go for another 20k > 30k. I'll post updates. I think that the trans needs fresh fluid or else this problem happens, but fluid is cheap....

2013 CRV FWD shudders when gently accelerating between 20 and 35 mph. Even more noticeable when accelerating uphill. Not felt when accelerating quickly. Started around 80,000. Took it to dealer at 93,000 miles, and they say it needs a new torque converter. I'll be sure to stay on top of transmission oil changes to prevent a recurrence.

10

My 2012 crv had the same problem. The only person we found who could fin the problem was tnt transmission in bloomingdale nj. Of course the transmission was out of warranty and it cost me $3,000.00 for a new transmission

120

I have a Canadian 2013 CRV LX AWD. Mine has the same vibration shudder at 35- 45km/h that started at about 70,000km, but only when the car was cold. The car now has 83,000km on it and I feel it even when the car is warm. When the problem first started, I did some research and found that there are a couple of service bulletins for this issue in the US. I called Honda Canada to check if a similar bulletin applied to the Canadian market. The rep did not find an equivalent bulletin for Canada, but told me to talk to a service manager at a local dealer to see what they can do for me (at no cost). They put a note on my vin in their database that I called. Today I finally visited the dealer. The service manager found an equivalent bulletin for Canada which was release some time in 2017. The procedure is to change the trans fluid + do a software flash. If the problem persists, they replace the torque converter. The fluid and software are a stop gap measure. Honda knows there is a problem, that's why they extended the warranty for this issue to 8 years and 130,000km. My car is going for it's fluid change + flash next week. If you are having this issue, don't waste your money, do your research and don't get fleeced for a diagnostic fee. Find a dealer who will work with you. In the Toronto area east, I can recommend Pickering and Clarington Honda. Stay away from Whitby Honda service department for the sake of your wallet and sanity.

90

We just bought a 2014 CR-V AWD LT from Honda Dealership - 126,000 miles with limited 90 day Dealer Warranty / 3,000 mile coverage Drove for 24 hours so far - tranmission flutters / shudders exactly between 25 - 30 mph , especially with gentle acceleration. Drive it straight back to the dealer; they took it right away and gave me a loaner car. They say their techs will look it over and call us tomorrow with whatever they find. I just found this thread, so I'm concerned. Will see what they say tomorrow. Thank y'all for sharing your experiences.

10

I just purchased a 2014 crv from a Honda lot in Westerville Oh. It flutters between 23 and 35 mph. I called the dealer after I read all these comments and I was upset. They are selling cars with well documented issues. I have an appointment on July 17th. I also have a 90 day warranty. Should I request a new transmission? Or, should I request the transmission fluid change and system update? Just like everyone else I don't like being scammed. Shame on you Honda!!!

90

Dealer took the printed notice, did the transmission fluid change and software update. Said they definitely felt the original shudder at low acceleration; said the problem is fixed now and not to worry. Said ti be sure to change the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles and full flush of transmission fluid every 60,000 miles. Will update if shudder returns. Honda dealership service manager said they had not had cars with this problem, and that 2014 CR- Vs were good cars, not too worry; and the shudder will not return. Believing for the best. Will update if returns.

105

2013 CRV 2 wd. Shudder began intermittently at about 75,000 miles, took it in to dealer at 88,000 when it got really noticeable. Shop foremen and I took a test drive, which reproduced the problem. Shop foremen told me that I would need to change the trans fluid three times, along with a software upgrade. I got the Trans fluid changed and the software upgrade, cost me $175, Out-Of-Pocket, not covered by Extended Warranty. This effort didnt correct the problem. Dropped it off yesterday with the local dealership service department. I informed them that I had read this forum and was aware that my torque converter needed to be replaced. They were very nice and polite about the whole thing. I hope they get it resolved.

150

Did they refund tour money? Will they cover the torque converter repair and replacement cost? These dealers seem to be less than honest. They all claim to know nothing about the bulletin, but you dig deeper and they all have the information. How else would they have known about the flush and reprogramming requirement.

105

The service writer (Hoehn Honda Carlsbad, CA) just called me and said that his tech couldn't replicate the problem on his computer, so I have to make an appointment to bring it back when an Certified Honda Engineer will come to evaluate the car. 2-3 weeks, and no, they will not refund my money. Since they are a Honda dealership service department, I asked why they don't have a certified Honda person who could evaluate this car, he said, "they are engineers". I explained that it seemed like he was giving me the runaround and I asked to speak with the Service Department Manager. I was transferred to his voice mail....

120

Mark - call Honda of America and explain the situation. They should be able to help you out. You may also consider finding another / recommended dealer in your area. General Inquiries: (800) 999-1009 toll-free Mon. - Fri.: 6:00am to 5:00pm Pacific

10

2012 CRV with 115k. I've spent around 4k on the same issue and it still has the issue where there is a delay in accelerating at around 25-30mph with a loud fan sound and then it starts working again. What a joke.

70

My 2014 CRV with only 50k miles is currently at the dealership for the second time with this issue. The first time they performed TSB A15-086 which is computer update and transmission flush. Free of charge for me. (I think they said it would be covered up to 80k miles. (That first bulletin was released back in Aug. 2016.) That fix lasted for about 3 weeks. Shudder issue is back, and it even slipped a gear once around 40 mph. Transmission not performing correctly at all. Sometimes the shudder is so bad it shakes me in my seat. So now they are going to replace the torque converter, per TSB A17-040 dated 5/25/17, BUT they can only do this if they are able to plug in a computer to the car and drive it and record the issue happening. So after two drives around urban streets with dealer this morning, we were unable to make any major shimmy happen. (I did feel 3x small ones but tech said he felt nothing and he didn't even have the computer plugged in that time!) So dealership gave me a free loaner car 2019 CRV and they are going to drive it again and try to capture the data. I am very angry about this hassle because this is my 2nd CRV and I WAS a loyal Honda customer. Now I'm done with them because they have been producing junk transmissions since model year 2012. The 2015 model year was subject to a class action lawsuit that just settled in Fall of 2018. I would be receiving $5,000 check if that was my model year. We need a new class action suit because it obvious that there are more model years affected. If dealership is able to replicate the issue, then they said they still have to order the part and it will be 5 hours of labor. I thought Honda was a reliable car and was looking forward to driving this vehicle for a few more years since it is almost paid off.

105

It took several calls and three weeks, but Hoehn Honda, Honda of America and my Extended Warranty company, Warranty Solutions came through. My Transmission and the Torque converter were replaced with a re manufactured. I've run it about 40 miles, no more signs of the shuddering. I'm very happy that everyone came through for me, and this site was a big help towards that end.

This complaint forum, https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/, seems to be only for safety issues. Does anyone know? thanks.

20

Hi everyone, I've got the same problem with my 2013 AWD CR-V with 38 000 miles. A little shudder comes between 25-40 mph even when the car is warm. I changed ATF fluid and I think the problem has gone for now. I live in Poland but my car is from the USA. I'll try to ask a dealer here in my country if they know the problem. Cheers from Poland

70

Wanted to update my above post: The second "fix" was performed at my local dealership. They replaced the torque converter. However, the car now runs terribly and seems to have worst issue around 50 MPH. Feels like a skip/miss/ roughness. It also downshifted very abruptly the other day (like went down 2 levels instead of one). It is basically a very rough riding vehicle now and I hate driving it. It feels like it is breaking down sometimes and I don't trust it when pulling out in traffic. I am going to take it back to the dealer again and see if I can get them to replace the entire transmission. It only has 55k miles!

10

Have had the same issues for months now with my CR-V which has 86,000. After reading a bunch or forums and comments about replacing this and changing that I took it to my local mechanic. He drove it and immediately felt it and said that it feels like a misfire somewhere in the engine. I asked if it was something to be concerned about and if it was cause for immediate fix and told him about all the service bulletins. He said that before I go crazy with changing all the transmission stuff that I should consider doing my 100,000 mile tune up sooner to get all that junk out of the way Incase it fixes it. I am unable to financially do that right now so I am going in for an oil change and he is also going to Plug in the computer and see if any issues pop up. I will update when I come back today. Praying for the best as this is my fiancé and I’s only mean of transportation right now.

25

Same issue on a 2014 CRV. Its currently at Honda getting the update and trans fluid change (update free, but paying 130 for a fluid change and of course, 140 for diagnostics I knew I didnt need) - and still, am told this MAY not fix the issue. Fingers crossed.

105

Here's the final story gang. Honda and my warranty company together decided to replace both the tranny and the torque converter. Step one (Tranny Fluid replacement) was a waste of time, I think Honda knows there's a flaw with these cars. Dealer tactic on this one was silly, they tried to stall me, then they tried to tell me that I didnt have a problem, Their own guy took a test drive drive with me and reproduced the darned problem with me in the car! So, I then I called Honda America, waited for one of their "Specialists" to come see the car. It was ridiculous. My impression - if Honda has a Tranny problem that requires replacement in less then 80,000 miles. Well that's not good, not a car I want to own. Plus, there were lots of other problems wit that car. (A/C, Back up Camera, Brake problems and more) I went back to Toyota bought a new 2019 Prius Prime. Traded my CRV for 10500 . I was happy to be done with that Honda, lost my butt on it, glad to be done with it!

I have a 2014 CRV-LX AWD. Bought Certifies Pre-Owned from Honda Dealership 3/2017 with 42,000 miles. Last August it started to shudder @ 95,000 miles. Only shudders between 20-40 mph. Like 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. After that it rides very smooth. Took it to the dealer as it was under extended warranty. They said I didn't flush the transmission fluid at 30,000 miles. Told them the book says 100,000 miles. Anyway, I told them I wanted a new transmission. They said to flush it twice first because warranty wouldn't be good if that wasn't done. They also found a leaky valve in the transmission. They fixed it and flushed it ($289.00) and no shudder. Ten months later of which I didn't drive it for two months because of knee surgery, the shudder is back. Now has 118,000 miles (I'm a courier) I took it to my mechanic for a trans flush and it stopped for a month. Started back up in July but didn't get it to dealer until August 12, 2019. They called after diagnostic check and said I needed a new transmission. Argued that I asked for that last Aug. Now out of warranty and they want to replace it. Said not the same problem as last year. Last year was a leak and now it's a torque problem but the extended warranty ran out at 120,000 miles and it has 127,000 miles. Very disappointed with Honda. Called American Honda in Torrance, CA and they escalated the problem higher up. Called me back the next day and said can't approve the dealership to change the transmission because there are no recalls and I bought a used car. Therefore, I'm taking on previous owners problems. Explained it was a Certified Pre-Owned and all points should have been checked. They said can't do. If there is a recall, they will notify me. Save receipts so I can get reimbursed if the problem is the transmission shudder. Taking it to a transmission expert to get a second opinion. Glad I found this forum and all the input by so many people. American Honda said they don't have many complaints that would warrant a recall. Told them I found over 22 pages of complaints on the web. They said you can't go by what's on the web. Disgusted with Honda. Calling my Prepaid Legal for a letter.

20

My car doing the same thing for almost one year, and brought to honda dealer, covered by the warranty (close to 80k miles), changed fluid and a software update, seems to be a known issue for this transmission between 25mph and 30mph, now it's working well or significant improved. hope the issue is permanently resolved.

25

Unfortunately, I did the software update and trans fluid change (they charged me for that), about 3wk later and the same problem is back. What bugs me is that this is a known issue with Honda and they just suggest fixes that ultimately may or may not work. Either way, I have to pay for it. Unsure as to why this wasn’t an actual recall with all of the people who report the same exact problem. Frustrating.

1,840

Its been a while since I reported. The big judder is gone (after the S/W update and trans fluid change), but the car still doesn't drive smoothly in that zone between 25 and 40 mph. When I went for my oil change at the local Honda dealership recently, they seemed quite aware of the issue (they weren't a couple of years ago). Anyway, I hope no big problems show up, but I probably will not be buying a Honda again!

10

There are two Service Bulletin first 15-086 for software update and transmission oil change, if not corrected there is a second one 17-040 where it says a torque converter may be replaced.. Look here http://www.hondaproblems.com/models/cr-v/tsbs/2014/ And then download 2 pdf files here. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10085226-2280.pdf https://f01.justanswer.com/freefallin2005/71eff989-dc8c-493e-83e8-8f513cd4666e_crv.PDF

20

I've got same issue with 2014 CRV 66,000 miles. I am going to dealer and coming armed with the two service bulletins mentinoed here thank you. In the meantime here is the resolution for the 2015 class action lawsuit. We may need to do this for 2014 as well. https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2019/2015-honda-cr-v-vibration-lawsuit-settlement- approved.shtml

25

Its great and all they they're AWARE of these issues, but, they will not do the repairs at no cost. So, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I drove out of state this past weekend and noticed it much worse than it was prior to taking it to Honda (in stop and go traffic) I am worried about taking it on longer trips now.

70

So my 2014 CRV has now had both of the technical service bulletins performed: trans. fluid flush & new computer codes, and then torque converter replaced. Now it is worse than ever. Misses while cruising along (esp at 50 mph), then when I am slowing down, it abruptly downshifts/ lurches. It's horrible to drive. So I took it back again after the torque converter was replaced because it was driving so poorly. The tech asked me to drive the car and told me I was feeling "bumps in the road." 3 hours later, I was told that the service manager and another person drove the car and they did indeed feel the issue that I reported. Said they plugged in the computer, drove car, took "snapshot" and opened case with Honda America. Over a week later, I call dealership back because I had not heard anything and they said Honda America says the snap shot doesn't show what ever the dealer said, and I need to bring the car back again and let them drive it and take another snap shot to send. I said no way, I'm not sitting there for another 3+ hours (took off work) or paying for my own rental car so I can go to work. I called Honda America just now. They can't find an open case. I told them what the car is doing. They said they want to keep me as a customer. (LoL - Way too late for that since they build and sell junk now.) I also had a 2004 CRV and it was fine, so I thought this Honda was going to last me a long time. So now a specialist is supposed to call the dealership and then call me back within 2 days. I let them know that the car is acting horrible on the roads and I don't feel comfortable driving it. We shall see if anything is done. At this point, I flat out hate this car (still owe $3,700 on it) and would love to either sell or trade. Have started researching its value (next buyer beware) and what kind of vehicle I want to purchase next. I'm leaning towards Toyota in hopes that someone still makes a vehicle that can last over 60k miles without falling apart. I will be doing extensive research to prevent this from happening again. I have to get rid of this car before it hits 80k and the extended warranty (that Honda gives specifically for this issue!) expires and I'm on the hook for a new transmission. Unbelievable that this is Honda today but here we are. Lesson learned.

70

Update from above: Honda rep who is handing my case at the corp office said there is NO such special warranty for up to 80k miles regarding the transmission issue. (This was told to me by 2 different dealers!) She said I need to take the car back for 5th time and Honda will not pay for rental car. I am so mad right now. I told her I want to file formal complaint on my vehicle. She said she is noting that under my case #. So I told her that the vehicle is unsafe and if something happens, they have been told countless times now. The funny thing is when you call Honda America in CA, the recording says "Your safety is our first priority!" of something similar. Honda blames the dealer and the dealer did what they could and it is in Honda's court now. I don't blame the dealer because they are trying to get authorization for a repair and the service manager himself drove my car and said it was not driving correctly. I bought a $2,000 extended warranty when I bought the car, so I will contact them. That runs out at 80k miles OR 5 years, and I am now over 5 years. So I will take the car back to dealer one last time, but I am also going to speak to supervisor at Honda America when I have time to call back. This car has 56k miles on it and should be running great!

25

Has anyone done the what the second service bulletin suggests? Replacing the torque converter, and how is it going now if you did?

20

yes changing the torque converter on my 2012 made it better. luckily at 99800 it was changed for free since the car had a 100000 mile power train warranty (was a certified pre owned)... yes 200 miles and I would have missed it.

25

I have an appointment with a transmission guy local to me (I don't trust Honda dealership) and he wants to road test with me, feel the problem and "make a plan of attack" after that. I had been calling around seeing what a torque converter replacement would cost (as per service bulletin #2) - since my car is out of warranty - and Honda won't cover it, this is all going to come out of my pocket. So frustrated as I've only had this car 13 months!

50

I took mine in and got the software update and trans flush. Ran ok for a few days, but it’s right back to doing it again. Not even a week after having the work done. Honda does have a bulletin out to Honda on the issue and if you are under 80k it’s no charge. But it didn’t fix the problem.

25

Welp, took it to a transmission place and he said that it did indeed seem like a torque thing. Now I am just worried about the cost. I'm reading that this can be anywhere from $600-$1000 repair job? But it seems like it's the ONLY fix. The first service bulletin is B.S. because from everything I'm reading above, it fixes the issue for a short amount of time and then the problem resurfaces.

20

$600 to $1000 would be a steal if you can get it done that cheap.. This is a $2000 job done right. Honda changed both the transmission and the Torque converter for free since I had a certified car with 200 miles left for expiration. They changed the transmission because of a leak in the seal but since it was certified they changed all as ONE piece. My 2012 runs fine for now and I have 3 year 36000 mile warranty on it so if it does it again I will take it back in.

20

Leaving my 2014 CRV at Honda tomorrow after the trans fluid flush 2x did not solve the shudder problem. Hoping they replace the transmission & torque as this seemingly is the culprit. My car only has 66K miles, ridiculous.

20

Follow-up on previous post. Took my 2014 CRV in with shudder complaint between 1st 2nd, and 2nd 3rd gear. They told me I should purchase some extended warranty on the transmission fluid change. It would cost $200 (they flush a couple times and use a special fluid). The warranty is valid as long I continue to purchase this $200 transmission warranty flush every 30,000 miles. If it continues to shudder,...this extended warranty should cover ANTHING that the transmission fluid 'touches'...as I asked if it would cover the torque converter. But I thought the torque converter already covered up to 80k miles anyhow? So why should I buy the warrantied transmission service? Well I did and so far its working. Only a couple hundred miles since the service. Seems they are just trying to suck money from this third party warranty company to pay for their own manufacturing flaw. By the way, this extended service warranty only covers up to $1000. Not even sure it would cover the entire cost what the dealer would charge?

50

Took mine back as the trans flush did not fix it. They said it might need a new transmission which is covered. Right... they called me and said it’s the torque converter which is not covered under warranty. Time to fight! I shouldn’t have to pay for ANYTHING due to this issue that Honda knows about!

50

UPDATE 3: 2014 CRV under 80k The fix is replacing the torque converter. If your dealer is trying to make you pay for it call Honda Customer Service. But the dealership has this info. Or so they said. After I told them I called Honda Customer Service to complain they all the sudden found the memo that it’s a covered repair.

25

My car is no longer under warranty. So I am Shopping around because it’s coming out of My pocket. My car is paid off so I kind of have to do this, if I want It to last me a few more years. But likely will be the last Honda I ever Own

20

I still w/I my Honda waiting for them to tell me it needs torque replaced.

120

@CarlyB1982 There is a secret extended warranty for this issue and even if you are over the mileage, Honda may be willing to do a good will repair. Do not proceed till you call Honda Customer Service to see what they can do for you.

90

PREVIOUS POST: (Update follows) We just bought a 2014 CR-V AWD LT from Honda Dealership July 2019 - 126,000 miles with limited 90 day Dealer Warranty / 3,000 mile coverage Drove for 24 hours so far - transmission flutters / shudders exactly between 25 - 30 mph , especially with gentle acceleration. Drove it straight back to the dealer; they took it right away and gave me a loaner car. They say their techs will look it over and call us tomorrow with whatever they find. I just found this thread, so I'm concerned. Will see what they say tomorrow. Thank y'all for sharing your experiences. July 10th 2019 Dealer took the printed notice, did the transmission fluid change and software update. **They replaced the entire torque converter and chain, was covered under the temporary power train warranty the dealership offered (3,000 miles) for the used car. Almost a couple thousand dollars of work.** Said they definitely felt the original shudder at low acceleration; said the problem is fixed now and not to worry. Said to be sure to change the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles and full flush of transmission fluid every 60,000 miles. Will update if shudder returns. Honda dealership service manager said they had not had cars with this problem, and that 2014 CR- Vs were good cars, not too worry; and the shudder will not return. Believing for the best. Will update if returns. When the vehicle started cold, there was a terrible "grind" sound for a brief second. The internet search basically said the chain / tensioner was loose and after sitting for 6 hours the transmission fluid was able to drain enough to allow the "saggy" chain a moment to slip. ** UPDATE November 6th 2019 Shudder has returned. Low acceleration between 20-35 mph. Vehicle is now out of the 3,000 power train warranty for a used vehicle. Around 134,000 miles now. Really deeply disappointed with Honda. So the torque converter and chain replacement and transmission fluid change and software update corrected the issue for appx. 4 months.

20

Just had Honda replace the torque converter in my CRV. Hopefully shudder issue resolved now as trans flush did not work. Not happy that the transmission had to be removed to do this. If shudder comes back I will run away from Honda’s.

10

Exactly same problem with my car. Honda CRV 2014 EXL 120,000km. Shudder between 40-50km/h (So around 25-30mp/h). I have warranty with Lubrico, and I am going to get the torque converter changed next week and see if it makes a difference. I had transmission service done on the vehicle first, and the mechanic added 2 Mr. Shudder fix to the transmission to try and fix the problem. Called him back after a week, and now he wants to change the torque converter. I'll update my progress here.

We have a 2014 CRV with 52,000 miles that is also having the same issues. We took it in to the dealer in June 2019 and they changed the transmission fluid and software update. Problem returned. Don't remember how long it took but it actually was fairly quickly. We just took it back to the dealer yesterday, 11/22/19. We were told they would run the diagnostics and take a snapshot to see if they can see the issue. Called last night and said they did recreate the issue and would now replace the torque converter, per the second service bulletin. We did not have to pay for either of these services, since they were both covered by Honda. I am not sure why others have had to pay as long as they were under 80,000 miles or 8 years. I would seriously contact Honda and see if you could get reimbursed. I was excited yesterday when they called and said they were going to replace the torque converter; however, after reading a few of the recent comments of folks who have had theirs replaced, it seems that at least for some that made the situation worse. Very frustrating. Other than this, our Honda has been an excellent vehicle and we have taken very good care of it. However, this is a major, expensive issue. We actually just bought another vehicle in June, but because of this issue with the Honda, we decided to buy a Toyota. Almost wish we had traded the Honda in, at the same time I hate thinking someone will buy a vehicle we know has issues. I hope this takes care of the issue, but am not holding my breath. Will update at some point when we have a chance to try out the repairs. Good luck to all. So sad that products are no longer made with pride.

Update: Our Honda dealer called back and said they were not able to recreate the shudder to take a snapshot to send to Honda, so they are unable to replace the torque converter. This is after they had called and told us they would replace it and ordered the part. We were told that the technician felt the shudder when he drove it the first time, but when they tried to recreate the situation, they could not. On my way home it did feel it slightly. We will just have to keep taking it back. So frustrating. We have three people in our family who have CRV's and all three have had these issues. Frustrated.

2014 Honda CRV 91000 miles. I just spoke to Honda Customer service department and was told that Honda can do nothing. She said that my VIN was not covered by the 15-086 bulletin. She didn't know why. I can only assume it is because I'm past the 80,000 mi mark. Like everyone else, I'm very disappointed in Honda and this will be the last Honda I own

Any Canadians with this issue? I just bought a preowned 2014 CRV, with a 7year/;160k km powertrain warranty, so 2 years or 25k km left (bought with 135k on the odo). Will this be covered under warranty?

120

@GuruK2CRR Yes, I brought my 2013 in and so far got the trans fluid replaced for free this past summer. Issue is still present, but reduced. I actually started with Honda Canada before going to the dealer as I found the TSB for the US CRV. At the time the Honda Canada rep did not find an equivalent one for the Canadian CRV, but told me to visit the dealer of my choice to see what they could do and he put notes on my car's VIN. I met with the service manager at the dealer (Pickering Honda) and he said there is a bulletin in the system related to the issue. Honda Canada uses a different system than Honda of America, so the bulletin numbers are different. However, the dealer instructions appear to the the same. Two fluid changes, then a converter replacement. All covered under a silent extended warranty. In the case of my 2013, the warranty is good till March of 2021 and 120,000km (or higher, I don't remember exactly). I have about 90K km on mine, so I'm stretching it to get some km between free fluid changes.

@paradoxum Thanks for the info. I just bought a 2014 CRV with a 7year/160k km powertrian warranty, so will assume it will be covered under that? (warranty was from original owner, so 2 years remaining or 25k km as my car has 135k on the odo, as i posted above. Just wanting to make sure it will be covered. Are you gonna get the converter replacement? Also, did you happen to have the bulletin number for the Canadian version? Will be heading to my dealer within the next few days.

@paradoxum also, did/does your car have the rough start issue with many 2012-2014s seemingly have with the VTC actuator?

120

@GuruK2CRR I do not have the Canadian bulletin # as the dealer did not want to share it. That's one way to limit silent recall claims... I think you will be fine with the extended warranty. I plan to get the converter in mine replaced in the summer of 2020. I would recommend researching your local dealers before heading in, they vary greatly in my neck of the woods. It may also be a good idea to give Honda Canada a call first and tell them you read about his issue online and wanted to confirm the bulletin applies to you model year. If they put notes on your vin it makes the conversation with the dealer much easier. As for your other question - No rough start issues on my car, in fact no other issues since new.

10

Has anyone tried a new driveshaft or had the carrier bearing replaced?

If you're out of warranty try adding an entire bottle of Lucas transmission fix. It worked on my 2010 CRV. No shutter at all. It may not last but it's been good for the last 1000 miles.