Brand New Camry motor noise from truck area of car parked in garage for 8+ hrs

Asked by Mar 25, 2014 at 03:32 PM about the 2014 Toyota Camry LE

Can you help me with this question? I just bought a 2014 Toyota Camry (5days ago), and early yesterday morning (approx 5am) we heard a noise coming from the rear end, trunk area of the car. It sounded like a motor or compressor type noise and it lasted 10 minutes. The car was not running. Any Idea what that might be and it that normal? Thanks

120

call the dealer and ask them it shoud be on warrenty

535

Mine 2012 SE, did the same before.This is the EVAP purge valve operating. It can happen up to 5 hrs after the car is off. The owners manual talks about this as well. This happened to me once so far, has not repeated to my knowledge. Opening the gas cap and closing made mine stop as well as turning the ignition. If you still feel uneasy definitely call the dealer and have them look at it.

100

I have a 2013 Camry XLE and am having the same thing happen. Sometimes at 3AM or as late as 7AM. It doesn't happen every morning nor if I've driven it the day before or not at all for a few days. The last time I heard it (a few days ago), I recorded it on my phone and went for an oil change (Toyota service) I was ready to let them hear it. All I got was I'd have to leave it over night for service to figure it out. In that it doesn't happen every morning, I'm not sure that would have given me answers. Are you still experiencing the "hum" or did you find out what is causing it?

140

I heard the same noise when I went out to throw my trash. I had to walk around my 2015 Camry a few times just to make sure it was from under the car. The noise was louder with the garage doors closed. I found this site that answered my puzzling question: http://www.usedcarsmells.com/camry-noise-from-the-rear-end/

40

Yup, I experienced the same issue with my 2014 Toyota Camry at about 8k miles or maybe a little more. Was worried I was going to have to spend a lot to get a fixed but of course when I took it to the dealer it wasn't making the noise and I wasn't about to leave it for them to check because it doesn't do it every day. So far this Toyota has not proven to be a top contender of vehicles like so many claim. Purchased brand new and I had to have the battery replaced at 30k miles because it was no good, bad odor smell has been coming from vents since about 6k miles, dealer has no solution to fix, and noise from back end of car. What else is going to go wrong with this Toyota!

30

I am having the same issue with my car since I bough it, a noise that I can't explain, also bad odor smell has been coming from vents since I reached 20K miles, dealer has no solution to fix it and they are very rude everywhere here in VA, please let me know if you were able to fix it?

100

Continues to "hum" at 8700 miles on car. No bad smell associated with the problem. I have recorded it several times but have not left it with the dealership because it hasn't affected performance.

30

I am selling the car.. NOISE and BAD SMELL, and the dealers can't fix it, what the heck

440

Evap purge valve is correct. This is normal. My 2012 Camry does it mostly in the winter overnight. When the fuel gets cold it contracts. This contraction makes a vacuum in your fuel tank. The Evap purge valve releases the negative pressure because your fuel tank should be pressurized not have a vacuum. It will also do the opposite of there is too much pressure in your tank.

30

if the weird sound heard when your engine is off, better to read this: http://iuehub.us/weird-sound-from-toyota-camry-while-engine-is-already-off/

10

I just had this same noise on my 2013 Camry. Never heard it before. It stopped when I started my car. I meant to ask my mechanic but completely forgot. Now I'm glad I didn't. Thanks to Camryman and Jonathan. I did find it in my owner's manual on page 19.

Bad smell from vents is probably same problem I have. Mice get up in vent ducts and Die! HVAC vents and it smells awful! Utube shows how they get in Toyotas. Wouldn't you think they could fix that issue!