How much should a new transmission cost on GMC Envoy?

Asked by Feb 12, 2014 at 08:15 PM about the 2004 GMC Envoy 4 Dr SLE SUV

Took my 2004 GMC Envoy into shop this AM because shifting was stiff and car was
jerking pretty badly when shifting gears.  Mechanic says transmission is shot and needs
replacement.  Was quoted price of $2,640.  I'm a woman and afraid of being taken
advantage of.  The car has 160,000 miles.  Engine is mechanically sound.  Any advice?

Lot sure where your located but that's a lot where i live..

maybe try a couple places for est. see if there very...

I'm in Austin, TX. Are there any questions I should ask? Or anything I should be looking for in a transmission place?

ask if it is brand new or rebuilt also with your not slipping and totally gone i would have to say a rebuild would be cheaper. look for warranty's i am in the north east so maybe even go to Austin Texas craigslist and ask if there are any recommended trans shops around and im sure they will point you to the right place. sorry i couldn't be more help...

Sounds on the high end for a rebuild. Like others have said shop around and make sure you get a warranty for 12months.

If this price includes installation and the transmission is new it is a fair price.

more than likely it was doing fine then all of a sudden it quit working ,First thing you need to do is find an honest man to look at it , yeah that might take a minute because the dealerships and market are full of thieves ,but my guess and its an educated one is that you only need a solenoid for the lock in of the torque convertor, good luck and God bless

$2640 is high unless it's a brand-spanking-new transmission and I'd want to see my reflection shining off the metal to be damn sure of it. On our vehicles they are wont to use a rebuilt transmission, which at a dealership should still come with the full powertrain warranty (3 year/100K mile). Mine cost me about $1700 and it was a rebuilt transmission, complete with the warranty documentation.

I would go to a professional- coleman taylor or aamco. . Your symptoms indicate a major problem. 2600 seems a little high, but a completely rebuilt with all new guts is as good as new. In fact, there are several upgrades and improvements now in the rebuild kits for your envoy. I just paid 2060 for a 4L60E in my escalade. Many envoys also use this transmission.

Art Hazimanolis

I just purchased a used tranny for my 2004 Trailblazer. The estimate was $1800 but I haven't gotten my car back yet, should be today. I'let you know how it turns out.