transmission problem for gmc envoy 2004

105

Asked by Oct 20, 2007 at 09:00 AM about the 2004 GMC Envoy 4 Dr SLE SUV

Please advise me regarding my problem. My car doesnt shift to higher gear. it stuck to 80kph and does not make any faster than 80kph. Normal city driving is very smooth within 60-70 kph but when it come to 80 kph the rpm come high as much as 4000rpm and it is whining sounds not shifting gear it seems.

It was happen when I drive to enter in the superhighway from service road and then suddenly the rpm whine and up to 4000 rpm but the speed stay to less than 80kph.

Please advise me what is the trouble. My car is GMC Envoy model 2004 with now 90,000km.
I was changed the automatic transmission oil and filter kit last 40,000km.

48,315

Sounds like a transmission solenoid or possibly a fluid pressure issue from the front pump. It could also be an output speed sensor. I would suggest having this diagnosed by a competent mechanic or dealership as it's almost impossible to pinpoint a transmission problem in a newer vehicle without running a few tests.

105

Dear Littlehorn, Thank you very much for your valuable advise. I checked in the dealership in regards of my car problem, they opened the transmission pan and found out the murky transmission oil with powdery substance. I am so frustrated because it will cost me 300KD in local garage and If I bring it to AC DELCO dealership it will cost me a whooping around 700KD X 3.5 US dollar = 2,450 US Dollars The mechanics told me that this is the usual trouble of GMC envoy. It is hard to believed that while I am taking good regular maintenance for transmission/etc...care for the car still I got the trouble and the fact that is still low mileage car of 90,000 km 2004 model ...I think it just another reason not to buy anymore the GMC brand. This is what I feel now with the GMC envoy. My friend have Ford Focus which is another American Car, same trouble transmission problem. His car is only 2003 model. Same comment what he got from all his mechanic friend...american car is always having trouble with transmission...or maybe I am or he is wrong...but everyone is entitled of opinion. Thank you Littlehorn for your time. :)

50

I just had the same problem with my car. Going 40mph my rpm was at 4000, it cost me $3200 at my GMC dealer ship. Because I'm a woman they never did explain to me what caused the problem, but I called other transmission places to replace my transmission and they gave me quotes no highter than $1800 for the whole transmission. When I called my dealership and told him I was going to use someone else, he told me the for the 3 hours of labor the take the transmission apart was already $900+$200 to get a tow truck to move it and $1800 for the transmission=$3000. I was screwed over by my dealership. I don't know anyone other than a lawyer who makes $300 per hour.

10

Count me in 2004 GMC Envoy - Regular maintenance 100489 miles. Now have to put in a new transmission. Very unhappy,but will drive it until the wheels fall off. No more GMC's for me.

My 2006 envoy Is giving me trouble when I'm driving down the road it will seem like it's in neutral and he rpm goes back and forth.I have 133.000 miles on it but it's a salvage vechile bought in 2015 Auto Zone told me the transmission is slipping.I still owe on it so I can't get another one at the time I'm praying it won't cost a fortune because I am on social security.

Change transmission oil n filter n the a n b shift solenoids, about $200 including labor whit a onside mechanic, Is just like a tranny oil change

hes boxter_4810 are you asking for him to change the filter and solenoids or have you done it? have you seen this before?

Yes I did it in my envoy 2002 tranny 4l60e , change oil n filter n solenoid a n b really easy to change or a outside mechanic should be able to do it for $100 labor n you buy the parts for another $100 for a total of $200, do this before to late n your tranny brakes totally, good luck!( eBay has the kit cheap for around $40)

20

it's no voice commands not picking up the words just right but I would say map sensor would be your problem if it flooded out over a certain amount of knowledge and overheating for Island and you get it up to the Atlanta close to Florida and it now you're most likely is a Cadillac converter stopped up or the Cadillac course on his office not opening fully or it could be map sensor but I go with map sensor first but you can always go by any makeup advance or something like that in LOL they can put on put it on a check for you

20

I have had a problem with the Envoy having trouble shifting gear around 42 mph. My mechanic took some time to figure it out. He replaced an part that was responsible for it shifting and changing the gear. (I think it was an electrical component in the trans). I'm sorry, I don't remember what the part was but it was not very expensive to fix a few hundred dollars.

40

I have a 2003 envoy and while i was driving it was like it was shifted into nuteral no gears work. It done it once before for 30 seconds and after the second time its not moved. Suggestions?

10

There are 2 output sensors on the transfer case that control the shifting of your trans. If 1 of these sensors fail you will end up with the problem that you have described .

My mechanic and hooked my transmission lines just to replace my water pump didn't put my water transmission lines together properly and my transmission fluid sprayed all over the ground they fix the transmission line I had to put more transmission fluid in my transmission I was driving my vehicle and I lost all all my gears I couldn't go nowhere so I check to see if I had any shavings of bottom of pan there is none I change the filter change the flood and change the seal and put it back together and now the only thing it's doing is going into 1st and 2nd gear