cranks but wont start

45

Asked by Dec 04, 2013 at 04:59 PM about the 2002 Ford Excursion XLT

mechanic said, good fuel pressure.  I had 2 new transponder keys made, still wont start. please help.

241,905

Since you had it at the mechanic, why didn't he look at the problem? If fuel is good and it cranks, your down to Spark. Check your wiring to the coils and spark plugs.

....well you might check the voltage at the chassis...if the battery is old...this will not do, because the ignition and fuel relays do not work so good with anything other than a reliable 12.5 volts DC~....so get a NEW battery and refresh the ground connection to the frame with a coarse wirebrush...the lug and the territory that it bolts to so that a 300 cold cranking amps potential can be realized by the startermotor~

https://www.google.com/#q=2002+Ford+Excursion+ignition+relay&tbm=shop

245

Good morning amofaga, I believe Tom and Judge_Roy are correct. Without more information form you on the type of motor and symptoms it's hard to tell what your problem might be? Another component in the mix maybe the cam sensor. They have been known to cause this problem also? Good Luck, Rats

45

I really appreciate the advice you guys. i have a 2002 ford excursion, 5.4L V8, XLT . the mechanic has my vehicle right now. im wondering if should recommend to him all the advice im getting?

245

Amofaga, It never hurts for you to share your knowledge with your mechanic, the more informed he thinks you are, the more likely he is to be diligent in coming up with a accurate diagnosis and repair. Again, Good Luck, Rats

print this and bring it with you~

120

Having the same problem with a 2000 Excursion 5.4l gas. It will start one day, then not when I leave work...but will start up immediately the next morning. It will run for a couple of days with no problem then not start the next time. I've listened for the fuel pump to turn on when it has problems but have not heard anything. One other weirdness to it is that occasionally I have the oil pressure gauge stay at zero after starting or when driving but it comes right back to normal 5-10 seconds later. There are knocks, pings or engine noises to indicate the engine is having trouble with oil, though.

90

HayaBuddha, My moms 2000 V10 Exc is having the same problem. I'm trying to due some research before I go and try to fig out what the problem is. Have you found out what the problem was with yours. My moms car was only having problems when it rained.Then after it dried it would start. Now it has totally went I guess because it hasn't started in 4-5 days. The last time I went to go look at it the thing started right up so I couldn't diagnose anything.I read on one forum that it could be the TPS sensor. But i am also thinking maybe the fuel pump.

120

I have an excursion it's a 2001 the theft light is blinking fast on the dash and it's cranks like a beast but it doesn't even try to start just cranks and cranks ?? what could it be I really need someone's help

20

Lucas, I've been dealing with the same thing. According to what a Ford service manager told me the theft light activity indicated a fault somewhere in the SecuriLock/PAT system. The service manual has particular steps to diagnose which part of the system is malfunctioning. I needed a new module.

10

Check your accessory delay relay prior to any other troubleshooting. Its relay #5 (lower left hand corner) of the interior fuse panel. This was the fix for my 2000 Excursion "cranks, but won't start" issue. The fuel pump wasn't being supplied enough voltage due to the relay not operating. I used a Bosch relay with the same pin out I had in the garage and the truck fired right up..after two days of troubleshooting everything else.

Same issue2000 f250 5.4 switched #5 relay and truck started. Fixed my problem!