DETUNED ENGINE EXPECTATIONS from VW

16,675

Asked by Sep 26, 2015 at 02:19 PM about the 2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SE w/ Sunroof and Nav

I  imagine that the "fix" that will be imposed on VW  diesel-powered cars will
either involve less power,  less fuel economy or both.   I've read  that the
California DMV will not even allow these cars to be re-registered until the
owner proves that their cars are in full compliance with Federal government
standards.      Do you have one of these affected cars and will you be loyal to
VW?    Do you think this will affect the resale value of your car?   Any opinions?

61,305

Here in NJ, back in the late '90s there was a lot of hoopla about "stricter emissions testing" and how older cars were going to fail and be doomed to the junkyard. Guess what, at the time I owned 2 old cars. A '66 Cadillac and a '70 Pontiac. Both went right through emissions inspection no problem just like always. The vehicle only has to meet the emissions standards for it's model year. My Pontiac only had to meet 1970 Federal Emissions Standards and my Cadillac only had to meet pre-1968 Federal Emissions Standards (only California had emissions standards beginning in 1966). However, neither car could have been registered in California. A '66 California Emissions Equipped Cadillac has a closed PCV System and A.I.R. system. A California emissions equipped Pontiac has ELS (Evaporative Loss System) known today as the EVAP System. So neither of my old cars can be registered in California. I'm sure that the same is true for these VWs. Once it's determined that all the factory installed emissions equipment is installed correctly and working, these vehicles will pass California Emissions testing and be ok. HTH. -Jim

61,305

When I posted the above reply I was not aware of the "VW Scandal". It seems that VW has installed software designed to fool the emissions testing of certain diesel powered cars. This is a worldwide problem and not isolated to California or even the United States. I'd be in close contact with VW Customer Service. In my opinion there should be a recall to fix this by removing the " trick" software or a buyback program if the effected vehicles can't be brought into compliance with emissions standards. Sit tight and I believe some kind of compensation will be offered to VW owners for their cars. Either to fix them or buy them back. HTH. -Jim

95

Beware signing onto a class action lawsuit too soon !!! If there is an EPA mandated settlement, attorneys that have a contingency agreement in hand may have it worded where they would be entitled to your contingency percentage of whatever a mandated settlement is, solely because you have retained them for your representative. There will be plenty of time once a settlement is reached, because VW will have to notify everyone of record for every VIN.