02 explorer 4.0 xlt: overheating problems.???

55

Asked by Jun 10, 2013 at 06:16 PM about the 2002 Ford Escort 4 Dr STD Sedan

02 explorer 4.0 xlt: overheating problems.??? Auto stay's in correct heat range in NORMAL driving conditions. The cooling system has been maintained during the life of the vehicle which has aprox 160,000 miles. The thermostat was replaced a month ago, the first time she overheated. Interstate driving is fine also, BUT, Don't get caught in traffic after she heats up to normal (normal gauge reading is center, between c and h) she will have a tendency to go into high idle and shortly afterwards will overheat. The system seems tight and clean, with no visible indications of hydrocarbons in the coolant. The fan clutch is smooth and no looseness around the fan or water pump shafts. The system is not leaking or using coolant. Does anyone have a like problem and been able to solve it? Could a heat sensor have anything to do with it? Thank You ...ski1818

95,075

I am suspicious of the fan clutch anyway. Wait until early morning when it is cold and try to spin the radiator fan, if it spins freely then the clutch is bad, if it has resistance then it should function properly, so next would be the radiator not flowing properly, you will have to take the radiator out and have it flow tested or take it to a shop you trust and have the work done there.

67,415

Overheating at slow speeds or idle is usually an airflow problem. I assume you confirmed, after the thermostat was replaced, the cooling system is full? Also, check to be sure the belt(s) are routed properly. If they had to be removed for the thermostat replacement. When you start overheating switch on the heater. Is the air hot? If not you're low on coolant or the system is air bound and needs to be bled. HTH. -Jim

55

Thanks for the comments on 02, 4.0 explorer overheating; fan clutch has resistance when cold and is smooth. Seems to be pulling lots of hot air when running. I will check the flow throuhh the radiator, Although when squeezing the top radiator hose when cold, there's plenty of flow to plastic resiovior from the bottom hose and some from the small return hose, without resistance. The heater gets hot and there appears to be clear air flow through radiator and condenser. no leaves or junk in the fins. Still puzzled?? ski

55

And the fan belt has not been removed. it is routed correctly. thx ski

I have had the same problem on a dodge neon and a ford escort zx2 both problems was a simple fix the fans on the radiator wasnt cutting on so i just simply made sure they was plugged in all the way and wired correctly and then it kicked on and never had a problem again