Strange little buttons and light

195

Asked by Oct 22, 2013 at 05:14 PM about the 2014 Dodge Journey American Value Package

Are these bluetooth oriented in some way?  The button cluster is about 1 inch in size, located on the lower left part of my dash.  Light is blue.  weird

195

Thank you for that tip, why yes, it does look a bit like a phone, and perhaps a keypad icon on the left one, which is why I asked if it was something to do with bluetooth. Since I have the phone controls on my steering wheel already, and controls on the radio touchscreen, it seems a bit redundant to have those same type of controls in a very small 1 inch package located in one of the most inaccessible places on the dash. I guess I'm asking, should someone know, if there is some other purpose that these particular buttons serve.

195

And they are buttons, not an removable panel

195

@judge_roy - In answer to your reply to try each one, that has been done, and no noticeable action from the vehicle was observed. Either with the car running or in ACC mode. The phone selection on the 4.3 uConnect cluster provided no display change when said buttons were pressed. The owners manual nor the included owners CD do not describe or show these buttons anywhere and "well duh~" does not help. My choice in options on my car is not part of the question. This vehicle was chosen based on my particular needs and budget. I don't want to come across as a beligerent newbie and I do understand that there are questions that can most certainly be answered by "RTFM" but this isn't one of them. If you are the only one that answers questions on this forum, It's possible that I tried to gain some insight in the wrong place. Apparently you don't know what the buttons are for, so your additional comments do not provide any help what so ever.

...been outsmarted by those dang guys.....sorry for wastin' your time~ had to take a whack at them~ still one must ask "why there?"....you will find the answer...newbie? this technology is the newbie~! do what we can do with the information provided....keep it up here long enough someone will chime in with the correct answer....thanks for givin' us the opportunity for this challenge~

195

judge_roy, thank you for that. I'll take your advice and let this sit for a while in case someone does chime in. I agree with you in that "Why there?" Such an odd place for such small buttons and indicator, in fact, you can't even see them if you are a driver because the steering wheel blocks the view of them. So using them while operating the vehicle must not be what they are there for (if logic dictates).

No info in the documentation....the dealership should be keen on this...they should know what that gizmo is~ we will sell this...but do not know what it is?

195

Dealership would be my very last stop on this, even though they probably do know what it is. I just avoid them out of habit

I will study this "value package" until I come up with an answer---thanks for the faith in judge_roy....this will not get away from us now~ Don marshall (a dealership) put out this introductory video in which you CANNOT see the little phone icon and buttton anywhere....just to show the video...'case you're interested....only a 2.4 liter....with six passengers...goin' up the grapevine...seems unlikely~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-_04fGCLNg

195

I'm thinking that a full car is not going up any significant hill very fast. I will take a much better picture, one that give a better reference to position and size.

it's a 2014~makes me want to pull out the Barlow and scrape it off of there...no seriously this seems like a ruse~

Does this show any kind of onboard phone communication in the pushbutton panel....not that the rear passengers could see it (especially those held captive by the rear seat, but lights up during communication?~~just another thought from this MS rapidly decaying brain~

too late to exchange it for a V8 Durango...if MPG is what you're after I strongly recommend a Toyota Prius gets 50 mpg (no shittin') with 150,000 miles on it (me wife's car)....she will not let me drive it~ possibly too late in the game here~

195

I'll have to experiment with that tonight when I get home. I mean, the car itself does have the bluetooth option, but so far any "button pushing" fails to create a change in any displays. I'll post my findings when I can, including the promised enhanced photo.

thanks Don....am here too, mechanic (93-96) and a dozen Mechanical drafting jobs over the years for non-union places~ Briggs and Stratton - Milwaukee, Kempsmith -Milwaukee, Polycold Cryogenic systems -Marin County , M+W systems Hayward, Improved PIping Products -Orinda you really have to be at least a little acquainted with ANSI Y-14.5 to survive here~

195

I can't figure it out. Pressing and holding the phone button causes the led to flash faster, but my phone nor the radio screen shows any connection messages. Pressing and holding the other button (keypad?) does nothing. Nor does momentary presses of the buttons when the phone is connected or disconnected from the Bluetooth. Again, for comparison purposes, I tried with both mine and my wife's phone. Pictures added.

195

Another view.

...well Don, somewhere there has to be some documentation on what this "robot lite" is supposed to do....apparently has to do with the phone....would look into the number to dial to connect to the car's system?~again guessing...I'm SO GLAD that it is on the glovebox lid and not on the door (like I originally had thought)----still apparently NOT a functional button but an acknowledgement display (I think)~

195

That is not the glovebox judge_roy. That is the lower drivers side airbag (yeah, potential shrapnel issue should it deploy, not to much fore thought going into that one).

195

....and I'm not sure I understand your question "would look into the number to dial to connect to the car's system?~". There is no such number to dial into the car's system that I'm aware of.

...well shucks...must be an 800 number in your documentation?...apologize for my inept "help"~ :(

195

DOH! No apologies necessary. You're right of course. I could do that. Probably will end up doing that too. Once I've put my mind in the right place to deal with a customer service rep that is reading from a script. :-D

10

Don, did you ever figure this out?

10

http://redd.it/3b11dy

10

I have this button also in my 2014 sxt dart and it dose nothing but blinks. I can't find any info on it. Has anyone figured this out

30

It's the MOPAR EVTS Alarm system.

I have one in my Dart too. If its EVTS would this,not be a bad idea. A,guy stealing the cae would just cut it out???

10

Did you guys by chance get the car at Automation? My car has this too. I purchased from a dealer but they got it from autonation. Beginning to believe it's dealer specific as there is no mention of it anywhere and it does nothing. It's on my 2016 Charger.