zx2 AC?

Asked by Oct 17, 2016 at 06:52 PM about the 2002 Ford Escort 2 Dr ZX2 Coupe

My zx2 is blowing ac intermittently when the ac is on..   and seems like might
be vice versa..  It turns off completly..  and seems to go to correct spot, floor,
vent, defrost..  but temp goes from hot to ice cold and back...    I would have
thought it was perhaps just outside temp coming in but the ac lines where
frosting up when I had the heat on. I found that out while I was checking to
see if the heater core lines were hot on both sides. Only one side was hot...  
but the fact that the ac lines were frosted made me think it's probably not a
clogged heater core.  Also, The heat occasionally comes on hot.. I mean hot.  
So, I'm thinking a short in the switch..  but that seems fine in selecting where
the air comes out.  So, What should I check.

845

Make sure the compressor is not stuck in the on position... turn the ax off by using the ac switch and see if the lines are still freezing up or if the clutch on the compressor is spinning with the ac off Also the lines will freeze up if there is not enough air flow going pass the evaporator

Compressor does not seem to be stuck on.. Pipes were ice cold, then went to normal... Can't tell if the compessor cluch is spinning or not.. The pulley is... but I believe the clutch may be internal. I had a typo above.. I feel like an idiot. I meant to say blowing cold when the heat is on.. anyway, just now checked. When I pulled in from driving without using anything but heat, the ac pipes were very cold. Drove for a bit more and checked again and they were normal temp for metal in weather around 55degrees f. sorry about my unclear post, My problem is it's winter and the AC Comes on despite the fact that it's off. It is an intermittant problem, yet happens often. (an irregular problem happening with regularity?) Anyway, help is appreciated. I'll make sure and post if/when I get it figured out.

845

Remove the ac compressor clutch relay... that should solve the ac being on temperarly. Also that car has a manual gear setup that moves the blend door and mode door... check to see if the cables move when u are turning the knobs... u can see the gears and cables if u look up by the gas peddel. Also the lines should be warm or ambient temp... with the ac relay removed.. also with the ac compressor on when the switch is off... may create a stalling or low idle concern