Heats not blowing into the cab

Asked by Mar 04, 2016 at 08:57 PM about the 2002 Ford Escort 2 Dr ZX2 Coupe

I have a 02 zx2 ford escort, changed the
thermostat, then hot a radiator flush and back to
no heat the hose is tight lots of pressure but not
overheating....could it be that I got the new
thermostat all gun belt because there is a lot of
sludge in the radiator flush and he pulled it out 3
times and refilled it three times and it blows cold
like freezing AC cold, or is it the valve I'm
completely confused

58,915

Is one of the heater hoses cool compared to the other?

58,915

It may be that you didn't purge the cooling system from air when you were refilling it. May have an air pocket that needs to be bled out.

Best Answer

Both hoses are warm, but the main radiator hose is tight, I thought if I topped off the coolant it might push any air pockets thru, then it worked!! Then my dad took the radiator cap off while it was warm and blowing heat for all of 10 minutes no fluctuations. .....now I'm back to cold air again. ....should I wait until it's cold again and put a bit of fluid in again to push it thru again? I'm winging it here but air pockets are what I was wondering

58,915

Ok, so yes bleed the cooling system. Best start to do this when it is cool so you can get the radiator cap off. Leave the radiator cap off, run the engine to operating temperature, in other words until the thermostat opens up, the coolant level will drop at this time if there is a air pocket, then add the coolant when it is still running until it is full. Just so you know, coolant may be pushed out the top of the radiator when it is warming up, this is fine, just the air working its way out of the system.

Ok.....so I opened the cap again and put about 40 oz of water and boom as soon as it hit temp it was blowing hot! ?!? I don't know what it's doing but I am going crazy with this damn car! Thanks for the help if it goes cold again I'm going to take it in.the hose was still tight,bit I dunno got heat for a minute

58,915

You have to let it run with the cap off for awhile to let it bleed. Forgot to mention to put the radiator cap back on when the engine is running, once it is bled out and filled.

58,915

Ho, and have the heater settings on hot so it will bleed out threw the heater core.

Oops... f word. ...ok back to the ford,how long you suppose it has to run for it to bleed out?

58,915

20 min. would do it, or until it is not coming out the top of the radiator, and it is full. THen put the cap on before turning the car off. Good luck with that Forgotten On Roadside Dead vehicle..lol

Yeah fixed or repaired daily! !! Literally! And that's why my dad probably gave me a Mustang that work with when it was my first car so I wouldn't be stuck on the side of the road waiting for some dude to come help me and break it further there's nothing coming out of the radiator cap at the moment I rubbed it even and there's nothing coming out but its not siphoning out of the reservoir should I fill up the radiator itself a bit you think

Hahaaa I didn't rub it....i ran it for a while lmao

58,915

How long has it run? And at this point just keep the fluid level over the radiator cores.

I just finished up it ran bout a half hr then the 10 to get coolant and that's probably why I wastill getting any out of the radiator, I filled it, took about half a gallon and then the hose stopped being tight and I have heat! Maybe thus did it I hope cuz it's snowing cold as hell where I'm at,thank you so so much cuz I was scratching my head thinking, a valve ,the water pump,the heater core,another thermastat......but it was simply not bled when valvoline flushed the radiator 3 times!! Not going to them again, even though they are the only one that has the vacuum to pull out the sludge in the radiator, I will do it myself next time, god I hope that doesn't happen again but I might get in touch about flushing the core next! Your awsome! ! thanks so much!

58,915

Now all you have to do is look forward to what to fix again on that lousy F***n Ford! lol. Just keep an eye on the coolant reservoir to make sure it stays at the proper level. Best to check when it is cold. Up here in the U.P. were starting to warm up.

Right! ! Always something! Good news bout the u.p. cuz in Jackson it's cold!! Heading to work in toledo for the night so hopefully I can stay warm, just 1 more question,the main hose hot tight again so I bled it 1 more time just to be sure then it stayed loose, do I get to keep doing this a bunch or should I just stop worrying about it for now? Lol gd fords!

58,915

Just got back in. Your radiator hoses are going to build up pressure when the engine gets hot. It is good that it is harder, tight as you say, all normal, no need to bleed no more, no worries...be warm.