Dead battery

11,385

Asked by Aug 30, 2015 at 05:10 PM about the 2014 GMC Terrain SLE2

After being gone for 6 days, I went to start the Terrain.  No battery life
anywhere. No interior lights, no start, no fob working, nothing.  AAA tested the
battery and said it had only 4% life. Jump started right-away and ran. Charging
system was good on AAA tester.  Took it in to the dealer, and had a full scan
done.  Nothing wrong could be found.  Battery was low, and charged full.
Battery tested good.No excessive draws when off, only 4 ma. which is normal.
All cables tested good.  No explanation on their part as to why. Nothing
changed or adjusted or corrected. No issues after two weeks.  I had just driven
the car on a 250 round trip three days before we left, so no excessive short
drives.  Anyone have this problem?  Solution? Car has a 10 minute system
disconnect if any lights left on.  That is working. When started, all interior lights
checked and they were off.  I had not turned off the radio, but it turns off when
the door is open and turns off after 5 minutes on it's own.

56,775

The vehicle, including the battery, is still under warranty. If it dies again, call GMC roadside assistance. They'll tow it in, at their expense. Sounds like the battery is weak. Batteries installed in new vehicles are only rated for 3 years. Depending on when your Terrain was first bought, you could be coming up on the 2 year mark. It won't be a free replacement but you'll get money off if they have to replace the battery. If it happens again, I'd insist on a new battery. Since everything else checks out ok. HTH. -Jim

11,385

It is still under the 1st year warranty. The dealership offered to have it towed at their expense, but I told them I already had called AAA to jump start it. Since I pay insurance for it, why not collect from AAA? As it was, it started. The battery was tested, and even thought it is still under the new car warranty, I was told it tested all cells good. They did a slow charge on it to full charge, and tested it again, but no failure. I was told the machine they hook up to it is nicked named R-2-D-2 as it runs and checks every theatrical cable, device and equipment that can be tested. The mechanic also checked all the cables for cut cables or lose connections and found everything to be good. We'll just have to see if it happens again. I just wanted to know if anyone else had that happen. Very strange indeed.

56,775

I understand where you're coming from. However, I always recommend that people call roadside assistance while still under warranty. This way the dealer can't try to void your warranty coverage because someone else (AAA for example) "tampered" with the vehicle. HTH. -Jim

11,385

I also understand where you were coming from, but my first call was to get the vehicle started if I could. AAA did so I didn't have to worry about towing. I'd already spoke to the service writer and he told me to use GM as a tow. By that time the vehicle was running. IF there is a next time I'll do just that. Thanks for the heads up..

56,775

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

25

I purchased 2014 Terrain 3 wks. ago from GMC dealer. I'm not driving it much because I'm driving my other car that I'm trying to sell. Anyways last night the car won't start....no lights...nothing...DEAD?? I can't believe this happened on a fairly new car...16k miles

11,385

smoke, if it is under warranty, like I was told above, have GM tow it in and have a full diagnostic done. I was asked if the car was subjected to a lot of short drives, not giving a chance for the battery to fully charge back up. I had driven it on a long drive a couple of days before leaving it set for a week. Ask if the alternator is not strong enough to give it a fast strong charge? Now if the car is a used one, the battery guarantee is only for one year after the initial purchase. If they try to tell you it is a battery issue and try to sell you a new one, compare the 4 or 5 year battery guarantees with what they want to sell you. Also insist they replace it since you just bought it and don't have many miles on it. Then take the supposed cost and tell them you'll either get your won \battery and they pay the cost of the replacement they wanted and you pay the additional cost, which will not be much. In my Corvette, I just got a fully 5 year guaranteed battery for $85.00.

11,385

I had this problem in the middle of August, and even though the dealer did a complete check of all the systems and battery, nothing was done. I have not had any reoccurrence of the problem. Sometimes electronics are a head scratcher. I'm getting ready for a 3,000+ mile road trip and have no qualms of having any issues. The battery sure should be charged when I get home for sure.

11,385

Just returned a week ago from driving 3347.3 miles and averaged 30.7 mpg. No issues and the battery is fully charged. Drove in 100+ to 21 degree weather and in pouring rain. No electrical issues at all. I'm having a hard time finding a clothes rod to fit in the rear seat area. The hangers in the car are made of weak plastic and give after a few hours. Other that that and the four cylinder is gutless when trying to pass, no issues. It needs a turbo diesel. Good power, great mileage.

30

Exactly the same problem here. 2015 Terrain left parked for 10 days - dead battery but no detectable reason. Never had related issues. Obviously something draining the battery...

10

My 2013 terrain will not start. It's ticking and is hard to get the key out. Is this my battery?

10

I've also had problems where the car dies when I put it into gear at first start. The dealer says there's nothing wrong with that.