2014 Buick Encore Brakes

Asked by Oct 20, 2016 at 12:10 PM about the 2014 Buick Encore FWD

Scariest thing happened to me this morning on my way to work. Someone ran a red light so of course I had to lock up my brakes. In the middle of the intersection there is a little crack in the road, well I hit this little crack while my brakes were locked up and it was terrifying to say the least. I was no longer stopping, my car was shaking, my bake pedal was locked up. I ended up having to completely let off of the brakes and then try to stop again. I stopped about 1/2 an inch before I hit the crazy person that ran the light. I have never had this happen to me before except in this CAR! I am 40 years old and I have lived in Houston all of my life and we are known for some bad streets. Is this only because I was on the brakes when I hit the crack or is this a mechanical issue?

1,130

It is unlikely there is anything wrong with the car....hitting the "crack" with the ABS brakes full on may have caused the ABS computer to do something out of the ordinary....if it doesn't happen again in the next 40 years you will probably be ok If you really feel like it is the vehicle take it to your friendly Buick dealer

Thank you for your response. This has happened once before but the situation was a little different. I was coming up on a light at an intersection and the light turned so I hit the brake and it did the same thing. I did not apply the brakes full on but I did try to stop rather abruptly and it was on a pretty bumpy road. I may just take it in and get the brakes checked just to ease my mind a little bit. Again thank you for the response txbarney!!

1,130

Read your owners manual, I think you will find the instructions say to keep you foot on the brake and the ABS will modulate the brakes far better than a driver....even if you think they are not working.