'14 Ford Fusion with extra keypad?

Asked by Sep 09, 2017 at 09:45 PM about the 2014 Ford Fusion Energi SE

I got a '14 ford fysion hybrid we bought from a friend in december. it has a keypad below the steering wheel that you have to press a code into everytime you start the car in order to get out of park. The problem is the keypad is getting harder and harder to work. Is there a way to disable it myself or do I have to take it to the dealer?

1,525

As you can see on this one there is no security pad beneath the trunk button. I am wondering if it is an after market option or installation. I have even looked in the manuals and can't seem to find it. I would consult your local mechanic. Best of luck.

193,875

It is definitely aftermarket, so it's really hard to say what systems it connects too, I believe that a good independent shop can help remove the system. You might want to check some reviews of local shops and then call then and tell them what you've got and see if they can remove it so everything works as it should.

Do you think removing a fuse would work at all? Like maybe its connected to a fuse and removing the fuse would disable it?

193,875

Doubtful, default on systems like this is usually disable, so if the power is remove the system locks you out and nothing works until power is restored and the correct code is entered. Aftermarket systems are tricky, so,e are just hooked into a couple of wires at or near the ignition switch, others involve things like fuel pump, spark even ECM lockouts, so one never really knows just how complex a unit is until you get started removing it.