1.6 geo tracker motor wont crank after head rebuild.

Asked by Jan 12, 2013 at 02:50 PM about the 1990 Geo Tracker 2 Dr LSi 4WD SUV

My geo had bad exhaust valves, after replacing
them and putting the head back on the motor,
my engine would crank couple times and get
jammed, if I try cranking it counterclockwise a
little it would start spining clockwise but only
for a little until it will get jammed again.have no
clue what it might be.thanks

99,195

Sounds like your cam timing is off. The pistons could be hitting the valves. Check the timing and crank it over by hand before using the starter motor.

Its a non interference motor, I do crank it by hand,if I try using the starter it makes metal on metal noise.ill check my timing tho

I was thinking my flywheel was getting jammed on starter gear but thats just a wild guess

99,195

I didn't know if it's an interference engine or not. Spin it until it jams, back off a little and pull the starter motor. If the starter is the problem, you should be able to see it. While the starter is out, spin it again. There's not a lot that should be stopping it. Maybe something run by the belt is it's on. I assume the tranny is in neutral.