Ford 4.6 Transmission fluid and more

Asked by Aug 19, 2013 at 06:59 AM about the 2010 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

I have a 2010 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 89,692 miles and I did like the car but suddenly I have issues and was hoping for advice. I took it to JiffyLube to have the oil changed after putting 7192 miles on it,  I know I should have done it sooner. They want to hit me for $288.... for synthetic oil, the dude said the V8 4.6 Modular, (what is that BTW?) MUST have synthetic oil, $78...drain and fill or flush I am not sure? transmission fluid, $100, dude said it has to be done every 30,000 miles and a serpentine belt, $110 (hey he was giving me a break and that includes tax) I went there planning on spending 40 or 50 bucks for an oil change. I have looked at a few websites and this one is good, I have been here once before and got some real good advice and help. I do know about cars..some..but not sure got conflicting stories. Does it need tranny fluid every 30000 and synthetic motor oil? And the belt looks just fine to me, no wear showing but again, same dude, said a serpentine belt should be changed every 60,000 miles and the one on the car is original from factory. How the hell could he know that? And is it true 60k miles?  ( no service records were provided at auction) Bottom line is am I being lied to. I had them do nothing, just left.   Thanks in advance, Tim

PS I forgot, dude said when he takes belt off only then will he know if the tensioner needs to be replaced.. ANOTHER $160!!

Whoa. Ok, one at a time. If the belt is labeled Motorcraft it's possible that it is OE, or somebody put a Motorcraft belt on but at nearly 90,000 miles it would show SOME sort of wear, even if it's not all that old, Just very high mileage, about 30,000 a year or so, but I suppose that's not all that high being used 'round the clock..... the cops maybe used it on all three shifts so it was "in service" 24/7. It takes 500 miles to get donuts ya know Tim. But seriously if somebody gets arrested in my town there is no jail, it's 50 miles to the nearest jail and shuttling back and forth with alleged DUI maybe several times a day and such as that, Now the motor oil, synthetic is better but not mandatory (hopefully you got an owners manual0). it's a bit surprising they offered you no records. maybe you had to ask or make a formal demand..not even a Carfax at auction? And the transmission, not sure..there is one guy, Tracy would know if he sees this. ATF does not ordinarily 'wear out' but there may be something different in the PI transmission.

And this tensioner is listed for all 4.6 CV 2003 to 2011. looks spring loaded to me...$38..meaning they are getting about 120 bucks for a belt change, no clue on time to swap either/both. Again..Tracy?

Oh Man! Synthetic oil is not required - 5w/20 is all (6.5 quarts) 7500 miles between changes won't hurt if the vehicle is not used in Severy Service like a Taxi or Police Car. I recommend around 5000 miles. Trans service at 60,000 miles under Severe Service - 100,000 for normal, everyday driving. Those tensioners do fail often BUT, if it isn't making noise - there's no problem. Friend TimtheMan, you got taken to the cleaners. If there is a Bureau of Automotive Repair or similar agency in your State, I would file a complaint. $45 max for the belt - no synthetic oil required, without looking at a Time Labor Standards Manual, my estimate for the belt and tensioner would be around 0.8 of an hour - takes literally 15 minutes to change them both.

Best Answer

The "Modular" engine design was one in which Ford toyed with the idea of being able to take the cylinder head, pistons, rods (major engine components) and be able to swap them between any 4 or 8 cylinder engines and interchange many parts with 6 cylinders as well. I din't know why it didn't take off.

Thanks guys. I do know cars and mechanical stuff on say a novice level not entirely dumb but not a mechanic either. Great information, helped me know better what I'm talking about when I do get it changed (BTW Tracy, I was 1) uncomfortable and didn't know what to believe and 2) didn't have enough money anyway so I just left. But I was looking for stuff on JiffyLube later that day and saw a thing that not long ago JiffyLube was busted with hidden cameras not doing work they charged for, a video of a guy taking an air filter out of a car and putting the same one back in and charged them for it. 5 of 9 shops got stung on things like that, one they wiped an oil filter clean and charged for it, if I had know that I never would have gone there, there are plenty of other places where I live, thanks again

You're welcome! Sorry if I come off a little "brash" - I get into "Mechanic Mode" and tend to forget that I'm dealing with people - not cars. Suggestion: Ask around about good mechanics in your area - kinda like looking for a new doctor. Ask people who drive similar cars where they get theirs serviced. I'm glad you didn't get fleeced and enjoy your vehicle - it's a fine automobile.

I take my Crown Vick to the local Ford dealer. A lube,oil and filter costs $33.00 including tax and meets all of the manufacturers requirements.