took battery out which wiped out the computer history; won't pass inspection until fixed. Any ideas?

Asked by Mar 20, 2015 at 04:55 PM about the 2008 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Got a new refurbished Ford Crown Victoria police interceptor.  Took to be inspected; inspector took out battery.  That wiped out the computer history (reset it I guess).  Now inspector can't finish inspection without this history and told me to drive for 100 miles and then bring it back.  Any ideas--short of driving for 100 miles???

8,030

He means complete drive cycles must occur, then the system operates its fuel vapor system at the end of each cycle. Numerous cycles of the key can try to trick the computer into taking the next step, but the emission authority should be advised and you should be asking them what is accepted as legal. Then you would not be blamed for anything and they can find out why your vehicle was in this predicament. You could get an an inspection appointment in writing and just return for service after operating normally for the required time or mileage. Googling them and calling with your questions is the greatest time saver, and you act according to their rules. This has been the successful step I have taken when attempting to comply. I was able to explain the vehicle's circumstances, and received advice from them about their rules. I wrote down who I spoke with and what they said, thus I had recourse in case there was any concern at the second attempt.

Thank you. This is very helpful!

8,030

You can pick the answer as helpful, best answer, or wait til you have tried the advice and return to describe what worked for your car. That helps every reader apply your exp. to their circum.