Crown Vic Overheating

Asked by Mar 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM about the 2008 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

I have a strange overheating problem on my 2008 Crown Vic.  1st episode I lost all electrical accessory power and then the car died.  Symptoms resembled a battey drain after an alternator failure.  I jumped the car off and it ran fine , no indication of overheating at this point.  Second occurance I stopped and put car in park when attempting to continue driving gear shift would not move at all.  I turned the vehicle off and attempted to start but it sounded like a dead battery.  I jumped the vehicle off and again no further problem.  I parked the car and tested the alternator and battery both passed diagnostic tests.  At the same time I tested the antifreeze and it only tested good to 20 degrees F.  I flushed the system with new collant and had no further trouble until the next day.  Once again I lost accessory electric the a/c shut off and the car overheated.  I got the car to a mechanic and left it over night.  The next day we topped off the collant and ran the system, the fan checked okay on both speeds and the car ran at normal operating temperature even after driving the car several miles with and without a/c.  Please help I am stumpped.

254,235

The battery dieing is one thing, the overheating another. Have the battery tested, sounds like you need a new one or it needs a full charge.

25,575

The computer will limit power when the engine overheats. It may be sensing an overtemp condition and slowing things down (a limp-in mode). It will shut down the accessories too. I'm willing to bet that your Engine Cooling Fan has failed. Since the computer calculates Engine temp based on Cylinder Heat temp, it can react faster and do a better job of preserving your engine. You can start the car and turn on the AC - the fan should some on immediately. If not - you probably need a new one (not uncommon) Go with Tom on the Battery. You probably have 2 separate issues going here.

25,575

Hey, I just reread your post - the fan only has one speed!

30

thank u...u may have inadvertently(spelling---lol) helped me too....my 98 (in rain(all day rain), driving home 60mph, did the same thing----battery lite showed up----check engine lite came on and accessories went down to 1/3 power(as did the engine--top speed-40mph)....and overheated....drove a long way that way...(gulp...hope the engine is ok)

dear gentlemen, i have an overheat in my crown Victoria 2009 (ODO 130,000 KM). the overheat is very very slight, is this okay? since 4 years the it showed same indication (right in the middle), these day very very slight higher.