2006 Ford Crown vic Police interceptor transmission slipping. Again...

Asked by Aug 21, 2014 at 03:18 PM about the 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

I have a 2006 ford crown vic police interceptor and last year my transmission started
slipping and it got so bad that it needed to be completely rebuilt. Now, It has started
slipping again almost exactly a year and 3 months. I checked the fluids and for any leaks.
Nothing. Is there a reason it is going out again?

You'll have to talk to your mechanic who rebuilt the trans? Did you only have a year warranty? How is the fluid level?

Yes because I bought it off a used car lot and I have no idea who they sent it to to do the rebuild. But the fluids are spot on. Not over or low.

Your Crown Victoria has a heavy duty transmission because of the Police Interceptor package. It is possible that regular duty parts (non-police package) were used. If you had the tranny fixed under an extended used car warranty I can almost guarantee they fixed it last year but didn't rebuild it. Rockauto.com has your transmission for $1300 + core + shipping. If it were me and the car is in otherwise good condition I'd consider replacing the transmission. Even if you have a shop do the replacement it'll cost around $2000. The bad news is police cars are often driven very hard so their life span is generally shorter as a result. Weigh the pros and cons but I wouldn't fool with a transmission that's already been repaired at least once. I think you'll be better off in the long run. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful

Thanks for the brutal honesty. I really appreciate it.

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thank you for the best answer click. -Jim

Hey ihave the same exact vic and igo in it and it'll start right up no problem and ill drive it around a couple blocks and iseem to lose power like its misfiring and when ipress on the gas it slowly loses power eventually stalling iwas told it was my converters so igt the two rear ones cut out n jus went with straight pipes. Drove it around bam same thing again calld the shop itook it took guy said your mufflers are probably clogged so irecently removed both mufflers after taking them out shook em up an chunks of peices from the cat fell out iorderd glasspacks iplan on replacing the two cats ialso went ahead and pulld the plug to see how they where looking because last time istarted it up it smelld like unburnt gas and when I pulld the coils off the two rear driver side ones ifound them filld with what smells like antifreeze lookd for any leaky hoses didnt find any wonder how it got there plan on doing a whole tune up iwas wondering is there anything eles that it could be or is it done seems to me like something is overheating but no light on the dash can someone help or email me at ralphyxrpg@gmail.com

The 4.6L Modular V8 engine used in the Crown Victoria after 1995 is known for displaying the normal symptoms of a coolant leak, including overheating, especially when the vehicle is idling, the strong smell of coolant from the engine, and illumination of the low engine coolant warning light. This leak is difficult to locate as it is buried underneath the intake manifold, and only begins to leak coolant onto the ground in advanced stages of disrepair. This leak springs from the heater tube, which allows coolant to flow between the water pump and HVAC heater core. When the connection for this tube begins to leak, the coolant burns on the hot engine, and produces a sweet smell that is unmistakably engine coolant. The remedy can be complicated, and will necessitate removal of the intake manifold, heater tube, and possibly the water pump. After removal of these items, the connector may be replaced, or a set of o-rings, depending on the year of the vehicle. Most vehicles, model 2002 and later, will have o-rings, and the water pump will not need to be removed.