Air bag light stays on in 2006 Crown Vic Police car I just bought does this mean that it is not activated?

Asked by Jun 11, 2014 at 12:06 PM about the 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

23,765

Correct. If the Air Bag Light is on, there is a problem and the system is disabled. I hope you didn't get swindled - air bags can cost a lot of money. Is the light on constantly or does it flash? You can hook up a good code-reader and get some diagnostic codes to see what's going on. Often, with the '06 it's either the Driver's or Passenger's seat belt (Pretensioner). I've changed many.

A lot of times it is the seat belt pre tensioners either driver or passenger side that cause a air bag problem in Crown Vics. Had to go to a shop for them to hook it up and the code said pre-tensioner ..It did not say which side.

The pre tensioners are the seat belt assembly. It has a charge that blows when the air bags operate to lock seat belt to prevent whiplash from the air bag...The sensor or charge can be bad signaling the computer to flash the light. Ebay has a company in Ga that repairs assembly $75 and $38 shipping for the do it yourself person...

The light may flash at times which reveals a code according to the number of flashes and pauses. This can be found in a tech book or online....The 2006 also has a chime that will chime 5 times in a row and wait and do it again 4 more times...This is a back up in case the light is bad or has been doctored by putting a piece of black tape over light behind circuit board. I got hoodwinked by this method. I have learned all the above because of it...People check to make sure the air bag light comes on and goes back off after starting if you are looking to buy a car....!