changed fuel filter

Asked by Jun 25, 2013 at 06:28 PM about the 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

runs good if I accelerate slowly.. bogs out otherwise

check the vacuum connection to the fuel pressure regulator...hose is cracked or has fallen off~

100,345

Ditto with judge. Have you checked the fuel pressure and delivery rate?

25,585

You didn't mention a "Check Engine" light. Is it on? A disconnected vacuum hose on the regulator would cause the fuel pressure to rise (low vacuum=high load=high fuel pressure requirement). I would want to look at the data stream. Particularly at the Long term Fuel Trim (both banks) and the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) readings. Could be a fuel pump problem but not likely a regulator concern. The Fuel Pressure Regulator on this vehicle also measures the fuel pressure and temperature. A good scan tool will tell you what you need to diagnose this one. You can compare the fuel pressure reading to the fuel pump duty cycle to see if the pump's doing it's thing. (P.S. - I see "dusted" MAF sensors all the time in our fleet of Police Interceptors. I don't try to clean them anymore - I just change it out if it's bad) I've experienced one other concern with this one and hopefully, it's not your concern too - the engine harness from the processor to the engine can have a break in the 5 volt reference wire just behind the left valve cover. I've seen a couple of these now. Not many, thankfully.

Check fuel pressure. Should be 35-40 psi under most driving conditions. These are returnless systems; as such they do not have a fuel pressure regulator. There is a fuel pressure sensor, which provides data the PCM uses to regulate fuel pump voltage through a fuel pump driver module. Chances are, you are getting a P0191 / P0148 and have low pressure. I'd check the fuel pump.