shifting issue

Asked by Sep 03, 2016 at 01:57 PM about the 2005 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Driving feels like it shifts into neutral while
driving and between gears it drags when I give it
gas it revs as if it wants to go. went to aamco
for diagnostic on trans they said only code
popped up was for a alternator nothing about
tranny. they replaced that but the car seems like
it got worser. 300 could have went towards what
the problem really was

1,940

I learned a long time ago that you can't always count on a diagnostic evaluation. If a transmission is acting up, I don't know how could that possibly have anything to do with the alternator. But I'm sure you considered that already. Besides that, Aamco is a scam, trying to sell you everything but what you need, and then, when they finally DO get around to repairing your transmission, they try to sell you an overpriced warranty, charging enough for that warranty to buy a complete second go around rebuild. Go to an independent transmission shop. You'll pay more, but in the long run, you'll be better off.

19,875

I'm really NOT sorry to say this about AAMCO, but, I have NEVER heard anything positive about their company, ever, even dating back some 40 years... I wonder why and how they stay in business.. I AM VERY SORRY to say that you probably have transmission issues and I would recommend that you take your car to a good independent transmission specialist...it's even better if one of your friends can make a recommendation. I have heard that there's been a lot of problems with the transmissions on these cars..

19,875

LarkinHuey- your comments are absolutely correct.

shifting issue Driving feels like it shifts into neutral while driving and between gears it drags when I give it gas it revs as if it wants to go. went to aamco for diagnostic on trans they said only code popped up was for a alternator nothing about tranny. they replaced that but the car seems like it got worser. 300 could have went towards what the problem really was wake up today car remains the same now od light flashing off and on wth going on 2005 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interc

19,875

AAMCO is VERY unreliable....you need a transmission overhaul, conventional automatic transmissions like yours should never have the engine revving up like in neutral......your gears are not engaging... I imagine that this car has s lot of hard miles on it... Does it burn oil as well?

it has very high miles now it won't go in drove unless I turn it off and start all over again it's gotten worser after alternator was replaced