I have a 2005 crown vic 4.6. Police interceptorI have found that in 2005 they used 12 different transmissions for that model. How do I determine which transmission I need?

20

Asked by Mar 06, 2014 at 12:35 PM about the 2005 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

25,565

There is only one transmission. In our fleet, we swap transmissions between 2005 through 2008 with no problem. One transmission - several years.

25,565

BTW - you do need to stick with the Police Interceptor. They're set up differently than other Crown Vics.

20

I contacted ford they told me only 4 of those 12 codes worked and that only 05 would work. Now I'm not debating or disrespecting in anyway (only asking because I'm a mechanical dummy) so please don't read this the wrong way. But why would their software say that if it wasn't true

25,565

I don't know why except that they never tried it. Ok, a little background: I work as one of 12 mechanics that service a fleet of 850+ Police Interceptors from 2002 to 2011. We swap a lot of parts because cop cars get wrecked. I'm not a cop but I get to play with their stuff on a full-time basis.

20

I appreciate all the help. let me get this straight. An 08 will fit my 05, or any of those 12 2005 P71 transmissions? No rewiring or anything? Thanks for the help

25,565

It's all the same stuff. But then, it's all the same stuff between Police Interceptors.

500

Awesome man, then your probably the guy I should ask about what most likely would be the reason my 05 goes into neutral when it should go into 3rd and then 4th. If I push the O/D button to off I can continue in second, but thats no way to drive these beauties. I only see 1 shift solenoid in the valves pan/trans filter pan. Auto zone listed 4 and said each gear has one. I watched some jmod videos and only see 1. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is by far the best car my wife and I ever have had.

500

BTW original poster- my transmission ends in JA and my friend his ends in JA too I think. 4R70W is the transmission name, with the 12 different endings, but thats just serial numbers from the factory I think. They may of made slightly different modifications instead of recalls. But if Tracey says they swap good, then I'd believe him

500

okay for future viewers, to know if its mechanical or electrical for not having 3rd or 4th gear. drop the valve body pan (transmission pan) if the magnet is full of metal shavings it probably is mechanical, if not its probably the dual shift solenoid (a & b aka 1 and 2) ss= shift solenoid SS1 on, SS2 off - first gear SS1 off, SS2 off - 2nd (this is default gear for failure) SS1 off, SS2 on - 3rd SS1 on, SS2 on - OD. well your in there check the over drive servo area to make sure its retainer clip is not broke, I have seen many reports where it has. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjSyDCaW32s disregard part of the video but it shows the 4th gear servo and retainer clip the clip is only $2 and the shift dual solenoid is less than $100 and only 3 bolts after the 30 or so bolts that hold the pan on and first inner-layer

500

here is a real picture

500

well this is the one I meant to show, but that one helps see the 4th gear servo and the 2-3 servo which should be looked at too. BTW you can drop the valve body so you don't have to work under the car under the transmission. you can work on a table. keep it clean.

30

would a regular crown vic tranny fit in a p71?

20

I have a 08 crownvic and it only shift

20

I have a 08 crownvic and it only shift 2 gears but it not straining only giving power after the 2 gear any answers

80

Quick question. I have an 05 crown Vic pi. The trans went out and I'm gonna get one from a junk yard. What years will and won't work, there are no 05 cc'a but there is an 08. Will that work?

30

Ok so where do I get a transmission to go in my 05 crown Vic with police intercepter

40

I have a 2005 crown vic police incepter transmittion went out looked every where cant find any 2005 crown vics anywhere.I was wondering what else we could do

60

I have a 2006 crown vic police car wat all year models transmission fits this car

20

I have a 4r70w transmission out of my old 01 p71 I need to sell, only has 56k original miles

Need some info. Phone number from 95 Black Mustang guy????

10

Hay have anybody fine out anything about why tran wnt go to 3rd gear

I'm looking to put a t5 manual on a vic4.6

05-08. Has to be from an interceptor, they have a longer output shaft and tailhousing then the regular Crown Vic has due to the use of an aluminum driveshaft. One from the same years Lincoln Towncar will work also, it also has the longer output shaft and tailhousing the interceptor trans has.