Crown Vic won't go past 30

10

Asked by Aug 01, 2016 at 10:22 PM about the 2001 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Car will not go past 30 mph!!!! Help

17,955

How does it shift between first and second?

10

I'm not to car savvy, it seems okay until I get to thirty

10

If I disconnect the throttle body sensor, I can get it to 40mph. I replaced the the throttle body sensor but didn't take out the old one completely. Once I hooked up the one, it ran good. Once I took the old one out completely and put the new one in, same problem.

17,955

I see, but, answer this question,. does it seem like you hear the engine rev up and neutralize any time you are driving?

10

When I get to 30mph, the engine revs, but then bogs down. It sounds like I'm driving over rumble strips. I have to come to a complete stop before I can drive again.

17,955

Kevin,. It seems to me that your transmission is going or is on its last legs.... I would say that you probably have substantial miles on the clock?? And, it's 15 years old... These cars have powerful engines and are driven hard, even if you were careful, it probably had some previous hard driving...if was a police interceptor.. Really depends on whether you want to keep this car.. if it were me, I would probably not and say goodbye at this point... Sorry.

Best Answer
10

It's only 138,000

10

Thanks for your help

17,955

138,000 is not necessarily a lot of miles, but, 15 years is ... And, these cars are known for transmission problems.

I have an 01 crown Vic I just changed the intake manifold due to the last one had a crack in it I also changed the spark plugs in coils and now it has a shake to it. I was told that there my be antifreeze on the spark plugs ....?????