I have a 2000 does crown Vic and my headlights keep flicking on and off while driving I changed the headlight switch and the bulbs what else could be the problem does my car have a headlight relay swi

Asked by Sep 12, 2015 at 08:49 AM about the 2000 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

64,135

The LCM (lighting control module) is bad. Ford has extended the warranty on the LCM so yours should still be under warranty until 250,000 miles. Take it to a Ford dealer to get it repaired.

Best Answer Mark helpful
1,615

i am sure you have head light relays i would turn them on in the drive way and start wiggling wires around the head lights see if you can get it to act up also under dash by the switch try setting the e brake and unsettling it to i don't know if crowns are wired that way or not on the ebrake

64,135

Rhodes, obviously you are not familiar with the LCM on these cars. The relays are contained within the LCM and bad solder joints are the cause of this problem. The LCM is located to the right of the steering column just under the bottom of the dash.It is a very common problem.

64,135

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWT-E-iTxKI

64,135

Ford Customer Satisfaction Program 14N01, might not apply to a 2000 Crown Vic, but it would be worth asking the dealer.

1,615

Lol obviously it can't be any other problem. You said it you must know lol

64,135

I have a similar vehicle and it is a common problem.

1,615

obviously And I watched the video one thing why go up on the amps of the relay also I would have to look into the way he is wiring the relay one hot on both sides of the relay and one out put on both sides A relay is a switch low amps on one side to switch high amps on the other side. I think he is wrong. also if it is burning out the relay do to over heat ie high amps maybe there is another problem like say maybe a ground

64,135

Video was intended as an example. Probably the proper way to repair it is to use a higher amp relay and mount it outside of the module. Usually what happens is the high current going from the high current or load side of the relay heats the solder joints and over time it causes the joint(s) to fail. It was a poor design to begin with. Dorman offers a replacement that is absolute junk.