Heater not working u think its the thermostat how much should rear be

Asked by Jan 24, 2015 at 10:12 PM about the 1999 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

7,740

Nancy , your question's sort off hard to answer because more info is needed. Is the blower just blowing cold air or is the blower even working? Don't assume it's the thermostat ... If it was the thermostat then You probably would have said "my heater only puts out warm air but it never gets hot enough to heat the car" . there are a few things that are much more likely then that. For the last 20 years or so cars have been using a combination of electronics/vacuum to control temperature (I know this is boring so I'll get to the point) and there are 3 things inside the car that it could be ... The first is the switch used for heat-AC-Defrost etc ~ the second is of course the temperature setting knob and the third and most likely ... the actuator that opens and closes the air blender vents. If you get the parts and fix it yourself .. none of the 3 items I mentioned should be more than $50 but I don't have a clue what a mechanic would charge for these 3 items. A thermostat replacement will cost you between $120 to $140

Best Answer

The blower works, but just blows out cold air

7,740

Nancy ... In the future if you want to get a rough estimate of a repair cost ... try this site ~~ http://repairpal.com/estimator ~~Thank you

40,685

It is most likely the blend door actuator behind the passenger's side of the dash and it is an expensive repair and not a do it yourself job.

7,740

It can be .. depends on the access. Most of the ones I have done don't even have screws they snap out of a plastic holder (yoke)and you simply pull the 1/4" rubber hose(s) off then unhook the small metal wire. Before you pull it out get a bright light and a small mirror. Start the engine then switch from AC to heat ... next turn the temperature knob or lever from one extreme to the other.. You should hear the vent doors opening and closing ( if your having a good day .. you may even feel some heat once the engine gets hot) . If you hear the doors moving but still no heat take the light and shine it under the dash ... then try to see whats happening with the mirror (or if your not big-bellied like me ,, climb under the dash and see if you can determine what 's going on ,,, sometimes the actuator linkage got disconnected (unlikely but while your in the neighborhood change it anyway because odds are it will come off again if you reconnect it) Keep in mind if you fail to hear any noise the problem may be in the selector switch itself Good luck

10

I have a leak by my thermostat or its my thermostat thats leaking. Not really sure but the leak is in that area, i just seen water by it. If i need a new thermostat whats the price range im looking at. 1999 Crown Victoria