1992 Geo Tracker won't start unless gas Is poured into the carburetor

55

Asked by Oct 19, 2014 at 10:45 PM about the 1992 Geo Tracker 2 Dr LSi 4WD Convertible

Tracker won't start unless gas is poured into the carburetor runs after with out shutting
off. Sent in computer to get rebuilt and also replaced the fuel pump filter and fuel pump
relay. Have tried everything I have read with the success of getting as far as it running
after pouring gas int to the carburetor. Before sending the computer off it would cut off as
soon as the gas ran out that I poured into the carburetor. I LOVE MY CAR ITS
AWESOME TO DRIVE AND I DONT WANT TO GET RID OF IT, please tell me what I
can do

20,840

It could be a fuel injector(s)

55

Fuel injectors were checked. Would they need to be rechecked after installing rebuilt computer

20,840

your Tracker shouldn't have a carb. It should have fuel injectors.

20,840

Were the bench tested or tested on the Tracker?

20,840

Was the fuel Filter changed? It could be plugged? Is the line between the fuel filter and the fuel injectors plugged?

55

Ok when it's pour into the injector it runs an continues to run but after shutting it off it doesn't crank unless you pour gas into it again. I was driving it one day and it just stopped.

55

Fuel filter was changed along with fuel pump an fuel pump relay.

55

What's the bench?

20,840

Ok first off you don't need to post here and private message me both. Second, a bench test is when they remove the injectors from the vehicle and test them with a computer on a bench. By doing that they can check flow and pressure. Third, it sounds like the fuel pump you installed might be bad or have a bad electrical connection.

20

I have the exact same issue. I've replaced fuel pump and fuel pump relay. It will start with spraying carb cleaner down the throat of the "throttled body?" and run fine till turned off. I hear maybe the cam shaft sensor is bad? I can't afford to throw anymore money at this without knowing it will do the trick. PLEASE HELP. -Andrew

20,840

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Fuel pressure regulator would be a good place to start.