I was told by an auto repair shop that the best way to adjust the rear breaks on my 1992 Geo Tracker is buy backing up many times and applying the parking brake. Any one every hear of that?

Asked by May 03, 2011 at 12:54 AM about the 1992 Geo Tracker 2 Dr LSi 4WD Convertible

This shop charged me over $60 to manually adjust them.  The owner's manual says they adjust every time you back up and stop.

this is true,it has a ratchet adjuster and when you pull up the e break it adjustes them,or is supposes to.manually adj is best.the $60 is a bit high.

Sometimes the adjusters will rust or corrode and the self adjusting will not work. You then have to remove the drum to free or replace the adjusters.