Any ideas for my 2002 WRX?

Asked by May 22, 2012 at 08:49 PM about the 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Base

I just purchased a 2002 WRX, my first car. 70,000 miles. It is completely stock. I can't afford to spend a lot of money but what I do, I want to do right. My mechanic is replacing all brake rotors and pads, sway bar and bushings, front cross bar? rusted out, plugs, belts. Any suggestions?

237,215

Sounds like your mechanic is on top of it. I'd trust him to steer you in the right direction.

355

save up, because in about 35-40k your gonna have to replace the timing belt and components, also i dont know about the ej20's, but the 2.5's have head gasket problems around 100k as well

95

Do you want to make power?

445

In order for us to help you, we need more information from you. 1. Use of the car (daily, track, etc.) 2. Goals for the car 3. Budget (how much youre willing to shell out) 4. Location (local tuners/owners are always helpful) From what you have posted so far, it sounds like the car is/was an east coast resident that was exposed to road salts, those can be hell on every single part of the car. Get it up in the air, repair anything damaged or missing, get it back on the road, then you can reassess your options moving forward. Welcome to the family, post some pictures!

Thanks Ryan. Bout the car in Mass for my son. His first car. Spent time in Chicago and Mass. Road salts - yes, I was concerned about corrosion, anything can be done about that? Goals - just local transportation for now to school, work and skiing in winter. Photos to follow.

445

It sounds like you have it pretty well in hand then, like it was mentioned before, the t belt has to be done around 100k, other than that just keep up on the minor maintenance and it should be fine. The only mod I would think about is getting a winter setup of wheels and tires to make driving in the snow easier. I am partial to Blizzaks. Also, check out your local chapter on NASIOC.com, a lot of good info can be had there.

255

As others have said, the timing belt will need to be replaced at around 100k along with associated pulleys and idlers. Be sure to replace the water pump and thermostat as well, because it is only a little extra labor to so while the timing belt is being replaced. If the car is on the original clutch, you may want to consider replacing it while the car is in for the timing belt work. The radiators in these cars have plastic end caps and sometimes may crack at a seam and leak. If that happens or is happening, I'd suggest replacing it with an all aluminum radiator. Fortunately, the required maintenance on Subarus is not too expensive. You said this car is for your son. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but have you checked on the insurance rates for this car? That is where you may be spending more money than you expected. While it may be 10 years old, it is still a lot of car for a new driver (227HP stock, which can be easily tuned for more). Insurance rates tend to be high with WRX models because many younger drivers have abused the abilities these cars are capable of, thereby getting into accidents or wrecking the car outright.