Why does my 2014 Ford Explorer digital dashboard display fail to work in warm weather?

Asked by Aug 27, 2013 at 09:36 PM about the 2014 Ford Explorer Base

I purchased my 2014 Ford Explorer a little over a month ago and my digital dash fails to work after driving in warmer weather. It will work in the mornings and then after running errands, during the heat of the day, it fails to work.  This includes cruise display, miles to empty, etc.; however, blinkers show up.

Could be a problem with the electrical connector on the back of the cluster, it is what they call a "thermal open" works fine when cold stops working when warm.

Should be covered under factory warranty.

James Ramond

your not alone, that's for sure give it a few more months the sparks will fly

Sad that you experience this with a brand spanking new 2014 Ford...But I'm actually NOT surprised considering it's the Explorer. Get it fixed ASAP under warranty and hope for the best.

I owned explorers from the mid ninties up to my last one I purchased in 2003. Somewhere between 1999 and 2003 they turned the vehicle into a nice light duty enclosed truck to a soccer mom vehicle. Replacing the front suspension with struts and installing very expensive hubs instead of the old reliable 100 year old wheel bearings. And don't get me started with the old reliable v6 they replaced with the OHC one with a chain tensioner which requires the engine to come out of the vehicle if it requires changing. If you thought you were getting a new version of something they built in the 90's you will be let down.

Bought our 2014 Explore Limited in Aug 2013. With less than 4000 miles on way from Boston to Sarasota all left side displays failed. Called Boston dealer- never heard of an issue. On return trip to Boston l eft side displays failed as did Nav. Had to calculate gas usage based on hours. After repeated stops and shut downs and restarts left side returns. With less than 5200 miles, displays have failed at least 6 times. Now home putting car in for "repair" although dealer claims never heard of a problem.

These type of probems are going to get more and more common as the twelve volt electrical system is stretched even further and more and more electronics are placed in vehicles. The wife just purchased one of those new vehicles with a standard 8 inch computer screen where the radio is. It even includes a camera for outside viewing. Wait to those things begin breaking and the associated repair bill once the warranty is over. The teckie geeks will have a field day once they learn how to use socket wrenches and # 2 screwdrivers.

I have a 2013 Exploer base, from time to time, when I turn the vehicle off, the mileage display screen turns a dull blue color and the mileage stays displayed in white text. I can get out of the car and lock it and everythng and it stays displayed. The only way to get it to turn off is to turn the vehicle on and off again. Anyone ever heard of something like this? I have a video of it on my phone that I show the people at my dealership but they say that there isn't anything they can do unless they "see' the problem themselves.......it happens when the car is turned off........My car is now back there for the third time to try to get this fixed, anybody have any clue?

Baumann62, I have the same exact issue and have had no help. 2013 base model in Duluth. At about 25,000 miles battery went dead when left for a day. Same blue light is on intermittently. First battery was replaced, told 2 cells weren't working. Dead battery again, they replaced a gear shift lever. Hasn't been dead again but brought back to the dealer again today, as light continues to stay on at intervals. They told me to take a pic. As they don't see anything wrong. Nervous as I only have 6,000 miles left on warranty

Skooby, they finally had an electrical engineer from ford look at the vehicle and said its related to the main power module, getting it replaced in a day or so...we will see...

Thanks for the info, glad to find someone with same problem. Hope it gets resolved for you.