2014 Ford Explorer Sport leaking water

50

Asked by Jan 08, 2016 at 01:17 PM about the 2014 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD

Every time it rains, I've noticed a little bit of water on the floor just behind the passenger seat of my 2014 Explorer Sport. With the crazy weather and torrential rains we've had in San Diego over the past couple days, I now have a one inch puddle on the floor on the passenger side front and back and the water is even on the driver side now. I took it in to the dealership for them to look at it and they couldn't find the leak. The service rep told me to call my insurance company which is crazy. I explained that my driveway is on a hill and does not see any substantial water. There's no way water could have come up high enough to enter the vehicle and we haven't even driven it though any puddles in the road. The headboard is dry, doors and seats are dry and it seems that only the carpet is wet. This is not an insurance issue and if it was I would have used my zero-deductible insurance to fix it. They quoted me $1000 to fix it and sent me on my way.

Last night during a break in the rain, I shop vac'd all the water out the best I could. I sat in the car during a good rain last night and although I could see the water rising, I couldn't tell where it was coming from. This is driving me crazy.

Not sure where to start here since I know it's a warranty issue. I now feel that I need to tell the dealership what's wrong with my vehicle so they can perform a warranty repair. I have an idea that it's a bad seal or water is being channeled from somewhere it isn't supposed to (sunroof drain, gasket, etc).

Attached is a picture of the passenger side floor with the carpet pulled back showing the inch of water I accumulated.

60

Make sure that the sunroof drains are free of debris and that the felt around the glass is clean.

50

Thanks. Actually it was the drain hose. No debris, but I verified with a jug of water that the hose is directing water onto the floor instead of the fender well. I'm going to bring it back to the dealer and let them fix it and replace my carpet.

6,505

Document the loose drain with pictures and anything else that will make it a design or manufacturing defect. I work at a dealer and have to document everything with Ford via pictures, workshop manual procedures, and opinion to determine if it will be warranty or not. If they can see anything that would indicate that you did something to cause the leak or even left the sunroof open they will deny the claim and leave you with little recourse. I'm not saying that you did anything, just that you need to go in there prepared. I promise that the tech that will be looking at having to replace the carpet, headliner, possibly seat cushions, and anything else that is affected will be looking for a way out or to try to get you to submit it as an insurance claim.

10

What drain hose was it? I am finding a lot of water on the passenger side of my 2013 Ford Explorer Limited. Where did you pour the water to discover this?

50

There are four drain hoses on the sunroof, two in front draining the water along the A-pillars down either side of the windshield to the front wheel wells; there are also two drain tubes in the back I wasn't concerned with since most of the water was in front. Here's what I did... I parked slightly facing downhill. I opened the sunroof all the way and filled a half gallon water jug with water. You'll notice a drain hole on the driver and passenger side "corners" of the sunroof. Check those drain holes and clear them of any debris (I didn't have any). Generously pour the jug of water into the front channel, and if working properly the water will drain town the tubes to the street through the wheel well. If water isn't draining in a tube or water isn't hitting the street, that side's drain is the problem. In my case, the portion of the passenger-side drain tube had a missing clip and was disconnected. This was preventing all of the water going through the passenger-side tube from leaving the car and soaking my floor instead. Bottom line... this took me five minutes to diagnose once I figured out to try the sunroof drain. I asked the dealership specifically if they checked the sunroof drains and of course they said they did. I called them out on it but decided to take it back to them for the warranty service. Hope that helps.

I'm having the same issue. My 2014 Ford Explorer Sport is leaking (pouring) water from the front interior lights whenever it rains. I'm in NC. This is way too frustrating

LeoGuruLeo, my Explorer was doing the SAME exact thing yesterday after a 10 minute down pour (in FL). My driver side seatbelt was all wet and water was just streaming down from the front cabin lights. I also heard the water sloshing around when I began to drive. I'm going to try and clear the drain pipes tomorrow. Is water even supposed to be in there?

I have a 2005 Sport Trac 195,000KMS. Same problem I had to repair the Cluster (speedo, etc) and wiring cost $3000. The drain hoses will shrink with age. I put caulking in the seams between the roof and the sun roof (essentially no sun roof). The roof liner is so stained. Front end probs, the rear end probs, When I start it a death rattle deep inside the motor, Its currently for Sale.

I've got a 2014 Limited. No sunroof. When it rains I've been finding water pooled on front passenger floor near the console. I've had it at the dealership twice and they can't find it. Any clues??

Guru9YLWB, That's very interesting, when mine was leaking last year (I have a sun roof) I also found water near my feet on the driver's side. I could squish it with my foot on the carpet. I wonder if your car has drain hoses even though it doesn't have a sun roof?

I just had the same issue. Has anyone had their windshield replaced? I have and I am suspecting something wasn't done right. My water is coming in under the glove box on the right hand side.