Need help on this question..i know i can puta 4bt on my 1988 dodge dakota but can i put a 6bt in it..

Asked by Feb 12, 2014 at 01:18 PM about the 1988 Dodge Dakota STD Standard Cab SB

I would put the 4bt in but i keep looking at
ppl saying yes you can put a exhaust brake
on it and other ppl say no you can not...but i
know that the 6bt comes whit or you can
put and exhaust brake...so is it possible to
put 6bt on a 1988 dakota

10,435

1.) Both engines are heavy you'll need to beef up the suspension. 2.) The 5.9 is very heavy and long you would need to either cut your firewall out or re-locate the rad. Would not recommend. 3.) An exhaust brake cam be used on any pistion engine to reduce rpm. Gas or diesel, the reason they are used on diesels is because they have more rotating mass than a gas engine and need assitance to "engine brake" where as a gas engine can engine brake normally. Who ever you were taking too is crazy. Just keep in mind that a exhaust brake is just that, it is not a jake brake like a semi.

Best Answer

I know jake.brake and exhaust brake are diffrent..im thinking to remove my bed and do a dually conversion and just leave the frame covered whit diamond plate steel whitba 5th wheel..my mechanic said either to extend the hood..but I said how about I move the cab few inches back whitout doing to much worl.and he said if that's the case then yea...tryin to do a mini rig lookin.its a project im gnna.start real soon..

10,435

Well the 6bt has a ton more aftermarket support for mods. The 4bt still has high production numbers but not many performance parts. I'm sure there would be a forum somewhere that would help you get knowledge on the motor. IMO the 6 would be to heavy for your application, unless you add some mean weight to your deck to get the power to the ground. I would get a 4 and bump the boost up. If you really want the 6 it is doable just need to get the motor and start measuring. Search 1970 Monte Carlo Cummins on youtube, nice clean install. If you relocated your rad to your new deck you'll gain some room it should fit with the intercooler in front of the rad support. I think the stock body panels and hood, the sleeper look would be better in the end. Good luck. There is a miled out '02 24 valve in my field??? Still runs good. needs a turbo and bell housing to the 6 spd. The guy wants to keep it but can't say no to money.