chuggs at high rpm

45

Asked by Oct 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM about the 1987 Dodge Dakota STD Standard Cab 4WD LB

I have the really nice Dakota 87 that just had a used motor installed before i got it, but
the work dont to the motor was poor so i took into a shop and they did a pretty good
job fixing most of the crap but my problem now is that the motor chuggs starting
around 57 mph, like its holding back, other then that the motor runs great, remember
please that this is a older car, I know the motor is sound I had that all checked out, so
what do you think guys can you help a lady out on this one
?

...yes the EGR system (exhaust gas recirculation) system is fouled with carbon~ there is an EGR valve that is supposed to open up on decelleration and to bring down combustion temps when they get to be too high...if malfunctioning at a specific RPM...you let off the gas and the problem gets altered or reduced would guess this valve is full of unburned stuff~ https://www.google.com/#q=1987+Dodge+Dakota+egr+valve&tbm=shop

Best Answer Mark helpful

vacuum hoses most assuredly are bloated or cracked...go around and replace each of the butyl-rubber black hoses with silicone (ten times the cost but worth the reliability)~

45

thank you Roy, I will go right out and buy one, thank you so very much for your help, your the bomb

---that's You're--- not your (possessive)~ not to be corrective here (well okay, ya...I can be) but I am not filled with explosives today~ you know this is merely a guess....and if you put a pair of gloves on, you can actually clean the one you've got (assuming it does not have a torn diaphragm)....you can check the operation once having taken the bolts off apply suction to see if the mechanism is moving or was eaten away by Techron....by chevron~ get a new gasket for it...they are cheap~...if you want to re-use the one you've got....and don't mind brake cleaner (gets you high....not really)~

say...you're kinda cute....and I'm kinda married...but still enjoy the scenery~

It helps to know whatinahell you're talkin' about~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ifz8YdN2kM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09o07bh0k-4

45

I pretty much know what your talking about, Im blonde but not that blonde, I have no problem fixing something if I know whats wrong with it, and the gloves would come in handy, wouldnt want to break a nail lol, I think all women should know a little about a car, i sure would hate to call out a man for something stupid like a fouled spark plug, have to thank my son for that, he taught me easy stuff to look for first :)

It's all just a guess, based on your loyal judge_roy...his two years as a Sunday tow-in mechanic...and twenty years drafting and designing machines...and finally after MS and was asked not to work made 200 or so oil paintings...ran out of wall space and started about eight months ago as a carguru~...a little eye candy~

45

very nice Judge_Roy, donr feel bad, i have a major back injury, im one of the lucky ones that gets to live in pain for the rest of my life, but I have learned, if you let it get you down it will, im just one of those people that has great friends and good support that has chose to just go on, looking at the truck is one of my things, her body is perfect, paint still all good on her, she deserves to be on the road and I plan to keep her there, so Im learning any way I can, but I do thank you for all your help, I will try and post a picture of her tomorrow. and by the way Sherrylee takes the candy and runs :)

the other concern that I've got is your fuel pressure regulator...torn diaphragm will not dial in the correct fuel pressure....again the distrusted Techron may have "cleaned" the diaphragm away...put a suction tool on the connection to it to see if the diaphragm has been compromised~ https://www.google.com/#q=1987+Dodge+Dakota+fuel+pressure+regulat or

45

I will also check that out....im starting to like this project :)

If it's really rotten, you'll be sucking pieces of the diaphragm...the engine will gobble them up and combust tnem open the thing up and there is NO diaphragm in there....seen this mode of failure...not personally, but in pictures~....else you will be pulling gasoline instead of functional vacuum~....if it's been a bad....~

45

its got to be something simple cause when i drive it regular just around town say 40 45 mph it runs great

corn is out of season now~