95' Chevy S10 Blazer 4.3L Vortech Runs rough and smells strongly of gas with a backfire or 2 every once in a while.

Asked by Apr 21, 2016 at 05:51 PM about the 1985 Chevrolet Blazer 4WD

Runs really rough and backfires. Idling just sounds horrific. We have been waiting for the fuel pressure testing hardware from amazon because we think it might be related to it smelling like gas. Please help.

83,145

Have you checked the distributor cap and rotor? Could be carbon tracked or burnt. Do you also have a check engine light on?

Best Answer
17,280

When was the last time you had a tuneup ? Sounds like it maybe a miss firing spark plug.

There's currently not a check engine light and we have checked the spark plugs but we briefly looked at them so we might check them more thoroughly.

17,280

If it has been a while since you installed some new plugs would not hurt to replace them because it is really hard to look at a spark plug and tell if it is miss firing or not. Also would do what tennisshoes suggested.

I don't know exactly what condition the vehicles parts are in because I have just bought it somewhat recently. I will definitely try your suggestions but if anybody has more suggestions I would still like to hear them.

Update: we have found most of the problem! We replaced the spark plugs and the distributor cap and rotor and it runs much better! It still does run a little slow so we are going to do some compression tests and fuel pressure tests

83,145

Don't be surprised if it needs a fuel pressure regulator, backfiring is really hard on them, once you get it running much better, get it warmed up throughly and do a few wide open throttle takes off and blow out that carbon build up in the exhaust system, it will have some.